Awestruck by the world of prop making, I decided to contribute into it by creating props form my favourite movie- Iron Man. I decided to recreate 3 props, the gloves, the arc reactor, and the helmet.
Since I had recently created my own 3d printer, I decided to make all my props by printing them.
Also check out my ARC REACTOR build HERE
I got the fingers from HERE- Scaled(90%)
I got the palm part from HERE -Scaled(130%)
I got the top gold shield from HERE - Scaled (110%)
I will also Attach a Folder with the palm peices CUT for easy printing. NOTE- this is not scaled, and you will have to scale it. I scaled this part to 130% as you can see above. The cutting was done using netfabb
Step 1: Smoothning
Since the 3d print was a little rough, and not exactly what I wanted it to be, I decided to make it smooth. I reside in Singapore, and it is incredibly difficult to source auto mobile epoxy, bondo or any filler, therefore I had to settle for regular epoxy.
By trial and error, I found a epoxy which was both inexpensive, and easy to sand off. I mixed and applied thin coats of epoxy and used 80,120,240,1000 grit sand paper in that order to achieve a smooth finish.
Alternatively you could use some sort of spray primer to fill in the gaps between 3d printed layers, and get a similar finish.
Step 2: Attaching the Fingers and the Glove
I glued the parts of the glove together using super glue, and a mixture of epoxy to smooth out the joints.
To join all the finger together, I had to meticulously sand each of the sligid covers, and then I joined them with some elastic band. I used three pieces of elastic bands to join the fingers together, and finally join them to the glove.
Since I wanted to be able to wear the glove, the top piece was not glued in but rather, I used velcro, and you can see how it is done in the photos above.
Step 3: Painting, and Weathering
First I applied a base coat of white to hide all the dark filler epoxy that I had used. Next I painted a thick silver coat.
On top of that I painted a light red coat. All this was painted using spray paints. On the golden part I followed the exact same procedures, but I substituted the red for gold.
To weather the glove, I took a round file, and filled away the top layer of paint. his revealed the silver metallic layer, giving the appearance of a scratched up and battle damaged piece. you can see the pictures for a better understanding
Also check out my ARC REACTOR BUILD HERE
That's it If you have more questions, please feel free to ask them in the comments section down below