Introduction: Jack O' Lantern Cake
This is a fun and easy cake to make for a quick Halloween treat. In this recipe, a color paste is used to draw the Jack O' Lantern. You can really go crazy with the designs, say draw little ghosts or witches' hats on white sheet cake, etc.This color paste can be used with any type of cake,however here,I've used it with pound cake. Have fun!
Step 1: Color Paste:
Egg – 1
Icing sugar – 50gms
AP flour – 50gms
Food colouring – as required (I used dark brown here)
1) Mix all the ingredients together.
2) Put into a piping bag and pipe whatever design you want onto the cake mold. I prefer to use a silicone mold because it comes off easier and looks nicer too.
3) Refrigerate this while you prepare the cake batter.
Step 2: Cake
Makes: One 30cm diameter cake; Duration: 20 minutes prep + 40 minute baking
Butter – 200gms
Sugar – 200gms
Eggs – 4
AP Flour – 200gms
Baking powder – 1 tsp
Vanilla essence – 1tsp
Food colouring – as required ( I used a bit of orange red mixed with lemon yellow)
Step 3: Step 1-3
1) Pre-heat oven to 180 degree C.
2) Cream room temperature butter with sugar till smooth and pale. When you rub a bit of the mixture between your fingers, it shouldn’t feel too grainy.
3) Beat in one egg at a time.
Step 4: Step 4:
4) Sift together the flour and baking powder. Gently fold this into the wet ingredients. The batter should be thick, more like a smooth cream that a pourable one.
Step 5: Step 5:
5) Pour this into the cake mold, and spread it over your design. It won’t smear because it is chilled and will hold its shape. It is ideal to smooth out the center a little more and make it shallower than the sides, as this helps the finished cake stay even. Otherwise, the cake tends to rise higher in the center.
Step 6: Step 6:
6) Bake for 35-40 minutes or till a skewer that is inserted comes out clean. (doesn’t have to be a skewer, use a stick of raw spaghetti!)
Happy Halloween!! :)
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.