In order to make instant Jalebies you would need: For Batter:
For Sugar Syrup
- 1/2 Cup White Plain Flour
- 1 & 1/2 teaspoon bengal gram flour (Besan)
- 1/2 teaspoon dry yeast (you can use fresh yeast as well, this will significantly reduce the fermentation duration, honestly I have not yet tried it )
- 1/2 teaspoon oil or Ghee
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 cup of lukewarm water or as required
- 1 & 1/2 cup Sugar
- 2 Cup water or as required.
- 1/4 Teaspoon of crushed or powdered cardomom
- Saffron strands (I like to be generous here :))
- A little more than 1 teaspoon of lemon juice.
- Ghee or oil (Traditional Jalebies are made of ghee, so does this version)
Optional : Jalebi can be relished with a number of food items, some of the popular ones are:
- Finely sliced pistachios
Fresh cream (Unsweetened)
Condensed milk (may also use Rabdi [Sweet condensed milk] ) Kitchen Tools
- Deep Frying Pan
- A deep cooking utensil.
- Spatula with holes
- A big bowl for batter
- Some plastic wrap
- A squeezable sauce bottle.
- Some absorbent paper
Commercially available Jalebies uses food colors, We will use saffron. Nothing beats natural color of foods, isn't it?