loading
MAJOR UPDATE:

Hey Guys!

A lot of things have changed since I began my  project and I didn't expect so many ideas, comments and improvements.

Because it is much easier to build an Ambilight than in my instruction, I decided to update my instructable. First of all, there are, of course, many other solutions out there. Checkout this link, it's easy and really cool:

http://hackaday.com/2011/10/05/adalight-ladyadas-ambilight/

THIS instructable is not up to date. If you want to find out about my new approach of building a 30 channel ambilight just search for my other instructable dealing with this topic or click this link:

http://www.instructables.com/id/30-channel-LED-RGB-Ambilight-Clone/
 
Remove these adsRemove these ads by Signing Up

Step 1: Java Microcontroller LED TV Ambient Light

Picture of Java Microcontroller LED TV Ambient Light
IMG_20110228_233818.jpg
mainapp.png
This instruction is intended to explain a simple and cheap way to build your own dynamic LED Ambient Light.

First of all I want to let you guys know that my English is not that good (I am from Germany, so... ). But I guess you'll understand enough to follow these instructions. I think my results are pretty cool, so I let you guys know how to rebuild this stuff.

If you want to see the final result check out this video:


INSPIRATION

A few weeks ago I came across a blog entry by SiliconRepublic (Roy). His original post can be found here:

http://siliconrepublic.blogspot.com/2011/02/arduino-based-pc-ambient-lighting.html

The author wrote a small Processing sketch that sums-up all RGB values of his computer display, calculates the mean values and sends them via serial connection to a micro controller (in his case an Arduino). The Arduino controls a strip of RGB LEDs.

That is an easy assembly and really useful at the same time. It appreciates your way of watching movies a lot. My aim was to enhance his ideas so I could have something like the Philips Ambilight: Different colors on different positions of the screen. I also wanted a little user interface so I could easily change parameters without changing my source code.

Because I am not familiar with Processing I used pure Java in this project. I guess you can easily transfer my program to Processing due to the fact that Processing and Java are really similar.

Beside that Java application the other main component you need to accomplish this task is a micro controller (perhaps two?) to operate the LED strips.

Step 2: Overview

Picture of Overview
screen.png
The first half of this instruction set will explain everything concerning the hardware of the project. In the second half I will explain how my Java application can be used to control the LED strips.

But first I would like to give a brief overview of the whole assembly.

The provided application takes a screen shot of your display. That image is divided into different parts. The right and left part of the screen and the upper part, which is also divided into one left and one right part. That makes four parts altogether.

The application calculates three mean values for each of these areas (Red, Green, Blue). By doing so we can combine those values to one mean color for that part of the screen.

After we calculated four of those colors (for each area one) we can send them to the micro controllers.
The computer and the micro controllers are connected via serial connection.

After the micro controllers (in my case two Arduinos) received their messages they can change the color of the LED strips. Therefor they change the PWM value of their output pins. Each of these pins is connected to a transistor that switches the externally powered 12V LED strips on and off.

Step 3: LED strips

Picture of LED strips
IMG_20110228_182524.jpg
One of the main things you need is light. You could use single RGB LEDs, but that's not too cool because the colors don't mix as much as we would need it, concerning to my results after some testing. So what you need is RGB SMD LED strips (abbreviations LOL).

These strips contain many RGB LEDs that mix color just like we want it. You can cut them into pieces, another useful feature we need.

I bought a 5m (16 feet) strip on eBay for 32€ (44$) shipping included. That package also contained a remote and a receiver so you can use the rest as ambient light or do as I did. I sold the rest for 20€.

So what I got was 2m (6.5 feet, about 80 inches) of LED strip for 10€ (14$). And that's okay, I guess. I cut it into four peaces. One for the left side, one for the upper left, one for the right and one for the upper right part of my TV.

There are different kinds of strips. Some have got 60 LEDs/m and some only 30. I bought one with only 30 LEDs/m which means 15 LEDs/part and that's enough for this project.

These strips need an extra power supply because the micro controller must not be used. So have (or buy) a power supply (12V) serving at least 1A (better measure, because there are some really hungry LED strips out there). Mine is energy saving (<0.7A on full white light for the length of 80 inches (2m)).

Step 4: Micro controller

Picture of Micro controller
I don't want to talk about the micro controllers too long.

Each one simply receives six RGB values on its serial connection and 'translates' them into PWM values to directly control the strength of each LED. Nothing less, nothing more.

I used two Arduinos for my project because they only have got six PWM pins each (we need 12 = 4 x RGB). You could also use cheaper stuff but, hey, I love my Arduinos and already had them. So why buy something new, if it works?

The Arduino Mega has got enouhg PWM pins to use only one. That may be cheaper, too.

Step 5: Hardware

Picture of Hardware
bread.jpg
IMG_20110228_223547.jpg
almost.jpg
Another thing you need are transistors and resistors to control when the LEDs shall be on and off. Please make sure you buy the right ones. I cannot tell you which one you need because there are different kinds of LED strips out there.

Either you have got one with common anode (like I have) than you control the colors by modulating the ground connection.

Or your LED strip has got a common cathode. Than it's the opposite. Your LEDs share their ground and what you control is the positive (+12V) power supply.

In the figure I attached to this step you can see how the pins have to be connected when using a common anode LED strip. You need to solder this 12 times (for each value = 4 x RGB).

Step 6: Testing

Picture of Testing
After you soldered everything together and connected the micro controllers and the LED strips it's time for testing.
Believe me or not, everything worked fine for me. I just soldered one transistor back to front and had to resolder that one. But that was all.

Then I remembered an old HUB waiting for me in the basement (from a mouse pad I never used). So I screwed the thing open and got the electronic device. I connected the two Arduinos to it. I also got a little project box which fits perfectly behind my TV. You only need to connect power and USB. The only thing missing is the application to run the micro controllers.

That'll be the next steps.

Step 7: Preparation

Picture of Preparation
error_app.png
Because my source code is fully documented and easily to understand by looking at the code I will explain what the application can do instead of explaining my source code in deep. If you want to, you can just look up the code next to the runnable jar file.

Nevertheless I will give a short overview of how the calculations work.

But first of all let's get my application to work.

INSTALL JAVA

The first thing you have to do if you want my program to run on your PC is to make sure you have got a Java Runtime Environment installed on your computer. If you do not have one installed yet, you can download it right here:

http://www.java.com/

After installing the environment you can try to run my program without a microcontroller. Just to make sure everything is installed correctly. You will be informed about a missing driver which is needed to communicate with a serial device. Do not pay attention to that message yet.

If everything looks similar to the pictures below you can go ahead.

Step 8: RXTX Library and Driver

Picture of RXTX Library and Driver
Screenshot.png
My Java application uses the RXTXcomm library to communicate with the microcontrollers. That library allows an easy setup of serial connections to many devices including the Arduino. Because a special serial driver is needed to access a COM Port under Java you have to make sure that RXTX is installed correctly.

WINDOWS

Windows users only need to copy one file into a specific 'bin' folder of your Java installation.

The error message you already saw told you where your Java Environment 'bin' folder is. You only need to copy the file 'rxtxSerial.dll' into that folder and everything should work (see figure 1 on this page).

My zip file contains the whole rxtx library including the dll file you want:

TVBarLight\rxtx-2.1-7-bins-r2\Windows\i368-mingw32\rxtxSerial.dll

Copy that file into your 'bin' folder. That could be something like C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin

LINUX

I've also tested my setup under Linux (Ubuntu 10.04) and it works. To use RXTX with Linux you need to copy the file 'librxtxSerial.so' (you can find it in the rxtx folder next to my jar) to another specific folder in your java path. For me, that folder is

/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun-1.6.0.24/jre/lib/i386

You should have a comparable folder on your system.

I really must say that my program slows down my Ubuntu. I cannot even watch a movie while using my program and one cycle takes up to a quarter of a second. That means the update rate is too slow. Windows works much better for this. I don't know why. It's not the calculations.

MAC

Sorry guys, you have to find out by yourself, because I don't know anything about Java and Mac OS (X).

FURTHER INFORMATION

If you still do not understand what I'm trying to tell you or just want to make sure you really understood what I said have a look at this page:

http://www.jcontrol.org/download/readme_rxtx_en.html

If you want to know more about the libraries and how to use them this Wiki may help you:

http://rxtx.qbang.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

Step 9: Looking for COM ports...

Picture of Looking for COM ports...
After you have successfully set up your Java Environment and made sure that Java can communicate with serial devices it is time to start the program again. No error message should pop up now.

Still getting an error telling you there is a driver missing? Something went wrong. You can also see that there is still a problem if the upper part of the application is painted in red.

Either you try to solve your problem or just use the program without communicating with a serial device.

Let's say you solved all problems and no error message pops up. It now takes some time to look for available COM-Ports (up to 30 seconds).

The waiting screen automatically closes when all COM ports are found. The main application starts.

Step 10: Main Application

Picture of Main Application
The main application is divided into two main parts:

1) The outer area shows the different mean values calculated by analyzing the pixels of the chosen display.

2) The middle part consists of two areas:

    1) The upper one lets you control the COM settings.

    2) You can use the lower part to change the parameters concerning the calculations.

This main functionalities will be explained on the next pages.

Step 11: Mean Value Calculation

Picture of Mean Value Calculation
If you checked 'GUI update', the outer parts of the GUI will tell you what colors have been calculated. Let's have a look at the calculation of the left color (that means the color on the right border of the screen).

The first thing we do is to take a screen shot of the whole screen:

screenShot = screenshotRobot.createScreenCapture(new Rectangle(new Dimension(screenWidth,screenHeight)));

Then we reset all RGB values to zero.

red = green = blue = 0;

After that we have to iterate over all pixels affecting the current color. Two for-loops will do that job for us. In each step we increment our position by the current step width.

// Left
for (xPosition = startXSide; xPosition < endXSide; xPosition += stepWidth) {
     for (yPosition = startYSide; yPosition < endYSide; yPosition += stepWidth) {
         currentPixel = screenShot.getRGB(xPosition, yPosition);
         red += (int) (255 & (currentPixel >> 16));
         green += (int) (255 & (currentPixel >> 8));
         blue =+ (int) (255 & (currentPixel));
     }
}

The step width controls how many pixels affect the mean value. The higher this value is, the faster the for loops will be processed, because we miss out a lot of pixels. The other side of the coin is the calculation of the mean value. It is more precisely if you if you  analyze many pixels. On the other hand it is not necessary to look at every single one because close pixels have got the same color.
It is a compromise between speed and accuracy. Just try out a few values and monitor the update value.

We sum up all red, all green and all blue values of all pixels and divide by the number of this pixels. Now we have got the mean value.

red /= numberOfSidePixels;
green /= numberOfSidePixels;
blue /= numberOfSidePixels;

If you want the application to sleep for a while after one calculation cycle you can change the value for 'Sleep'.

Step 12: COM ports

Picture of COM ports
comport.png
As already explained you can control which port is responsible for which LED strips.

Both port combo boxes contain all available ports of your system. If your desired COM port is not listed make sure it is not used by another program when starting my application.

Please keep in mind that you can not choose the same COM port for both combo boxes and then start communicating, because the packets would probably switch their order.

Check the 'COM Active' box to activate the serial communication.

If you want to change the source code feel free. You can find it next to the runnable jar file (src folder). To compile the code you need to make sure the rxtxComm.jar is available. That file can be found in the rxtx folder. It is already included in my application. That's why you don't need to make it available in your Java path.

Step 13: Test Frame

Picture of Test Frame
choose.png
There are two other useful features I added to my little app. I just had too much time waiting for the LED strips to arrive.

If you press the  'Test' button a new full screen window will open and change every 1.5 seconds. All positions (left, upper left, upper right, right) and all colors (red, green, blue) will be shown one after another to test everything.

The second option I added is a configuration button. This will start a new full screen window. It lets you choose the areas to analyze. That can be really helpful. If a movie is captured in cinema scope there's alsmost half of my display is black. I don't want this black color to be analyzed. On the one hand this slows down my pc, because it's a lot of computation only to add zeros. On the other hand that destroys the real mean value because we add a lot of zeros but divide by all pixels. Figure 2 shows that window.

Step 14: Boblight

EDIT:

My program just works fine for Windows Users. For my computer it takes about 20 Screenhots per second which is more than enough. I can even make it faster by incrementing the step width to 10 or something.

But then I switched back to Ubuntu and wanted to watch a movie with my Dolby Digital Sound System and my new LED Lights. There was a problem. Linux does not allow fast screenshot taking as Windows does. It was about 4 screenshots per second and the movie stopped while processing. That was not acceptable so I found another useful program, which is written in C++ and does just as much as my application does (acutally it makes a loooooooot more, if you want). But without the nice user interface. It's called Boblight and Linux users can compile the source code on their own.

Make sure you have all required libs:

sudo apt-get install libx11-dev libgl1-mesa-dev libxrender-dev portaudio19-dev libavcodec-dev libavformat-dev libswscale-dev libavdevice-dev

Here you can find the source code of Boblight.

http://code.google.com/p/boblight/source/checkout

After you installed the program you need to create a file called boblight.conf. That file tells boblight daemon where to find the micro controller and what 'protocol' to use.

I just added my boblight.conf-file to this step, so you can download it and change it to your desires. You have to change the devices output to your serial ports.
In my example file one device is set up for Ubuntu and one for Windows. That is just an example and does not work, because you need to have both Linux or both Windows. I just wanted to show how to name the ports. So either change it to "comXX" (Windows) or /dev/usbXX for Linux.

After everything is installed you can start the boblightd (daemon) which waits for clients to connect and then sends data to the micro controllers.

That client may be boblight-X11 which takes screenshots of the screen and analyzes them just like my application did.

Windows users can also use boblight (not the current version, but an old one).
You only need to download this folder and copy the boblight.conf file into

http://www.xs4all.nl/~loosen/boblight/boblight-1.3-beta1.rar

After you changed the the configuration file to your needs start the daemon and then start getpixel.

Windows Vista and W7 Users have to change their theme to Windows 7 Classic, because the getpixel()-function does not work with aero-themes.

For me it just works fine on Windows 7 and Ubuntu and does not require that much computation power.

If you want to find out more about boblight and how to use it (especially about the config-files) checkout

http://blogger.xs4all.nl/loosen/
(old)

or http://code.google.com/p/boblight/ (current project location).
boblight.conf877 bytes
1-40 of 67Next »
Simply amazing job on this ambient LED setup. I can tell a lot of thought and time went into figuring this all out. How long is everyone spending to put these LED kits together using your instructable?
Can C/C++ be used to program the software part..? Is there any way using it?
GeneRalf3 years ago
Please help,
I am desperate with my MEGA2560 and the SW for this project.

There is a package in all of the java-files "package de.zucizu.ledlights" which can not be found by the compiler. So I deleted this in every file and the compiler is actually doing his job.
Everything seems to work however the LED / PWM is not working at all with the provided Arduino-SW.

If I am using a port-sniffer I can see, the RGB values sent by the Java app to the arduino, I do also see the flickering of the Rx LED... but the brightness is not changing.

Using a terminal programm and send it manully it is working fine at least for LEDpin 13 (not testest the other outputs yet)

Is this because of the missing package "package de.zucizu.ledlights" ?
Or is there anything else what I miss here ?

Thanks for your help

ledtvlight (author)  GeneRalf3 years ago
Hi.
Actually I've build another one for somebody and I used an Arduino Mega, too. I had to change some code because I haven't tried it before and couldn't confirm if it works or not. But now everything works fine. I've packed everything into a jar file to use it immediately out of the box. But you can also see the source code, because I added them to the package. The Arduino source code is different now. But just have a look.

http://uploaded.to/file/9h8d5n1s

The order of bytes sent to the μC is the following:

First 0xFF to synchronize and then left RGB and then upper left RGB.

After that 0xFE another synchronisation, Upper right RGB, right RGB.

And Arduino Pins:
Left RGB = 2,3,4
Upper Left = 5,6,7
Upper Right = 8,9,10
Right = 11, 12, 13

Of course you can change it just how you need it in the source code. Hope I could help you.

Just ask if there are any problems left.

Even with the SW for the MEGA2560 I am experiencing the same problem that the LED/PWM is not switching according to the transmitted data from the JAVA app while sending the data via a terminal program it works fine.

I am wondering, how the synchronization is working anyway ?

Let say the PC is sendingcontinously some data ...
00 00 FF 00 00 00 FE 00 00 00 00 ...
You don't know the exact timing when the uC starts reading the data.
If the uC missed the e.g. FF for the left - lefttop side, the next FE which was actually meant as a color value is miinterpreted as start value for right - top right.

So to avoid this we need to adjust the max value in the JAVA app of the sent data to 253 instead of 254 and 255.

And even the JAVA is not sending FE and FF as color value anymore, we still do not know when the inputBuffer of the uC is loaded with just color values

ledtvlight (author)  GeneRalf3 years ago
Mine really works fine.

You wrote:

>Let say the PC is sendingcontinously some data ...
> 00 00 FF 00 00 00 FE 00 00 00 00 ...
> You don't know the exact timing when the uC starts reading the data.
> If the uC missed the e.g. FF for the left - lefttop side, the next FE which was > >actually meant as a color value is miinterpreted as start value for right - top right.

It won't be misinterpreted. remember the boolean called 'left'. If the uC misses the FF it would jump into the if-query asking for left, because left is true. then it would read a byte and see that the byte is not FF. nothing would happen. That would continue as long as not FF is being sent.
I am still haveing issues but I am able to narrow it down.

So everything is working fine with the following method
(I am using eclipse for the JAVA)

0. Put a breakpoint in the JAVA before the RGB data are written to the Outputstream
1. start the app with the debugger
2. select in the JAVA app the COM port and activate the port

>> Now here I am experiencing that LED13 goes ON and remains ON even
no data is sent ?

3. Wait a couple seconds (e.g. 10s) and let the debugger run for another
turn

>> All LEDs are ON respectively on the level what was sent

I am using a Arduino Mega2560 and progrmam it with the IDE from www.arduino.cc and program the uC via USB.
So there is a bootloader on it..is the bootloader turning on the LED13 ?
Does this might cause the problem? Even the Java is sending for 10sec. the uC is not doing what expect. with the break I have mentioned here it is working fine ..

Any idea ?
ledtvlight (author)  GeneRalf3 years ago
Hey!

Always plugin the uC, wait at least 10 seconds and _THEN_ start the java program. I guess you know that, but maybe someone else could need that info. Also make sure no other program wants to send anything over your COM. close the Arduino IDE, although it shouldn't make any problems, but who knows.

You wrote:

>> Now here I am experiencing that LED13 goes ON and remains ON even
no data is sent ?

That is not correct and does not happen in my setup. maybe you chose the wrong board in your Arduino IDE? for example arduino mega 1280 instead of 2560 or something. if that is not the problem, try to restart your uC manually by pushing the reset button on your board at that time. but i guess that wouldn't help either.

LED 13 is connected to a strip of LEDs, too isn't it? So one color of one strip has to blink randomly, too. It has to be the blue color of the right strip, if you connected everything the way I wrote it in one comment, otherwise it has to be another color. but pin 13 has to be connected with a strip, because only pins 2 to 13 are PWM pins and that's exactly 12, just as we need it. Am i correct?

I guess you connected everything correctly because you say, it is working with your method explained. At least for one cycle.

Probably it is an issue caused by the operating system handling the COM ports. Windows 7 for example always checks the whole bunch of Com ports which takes up to 5 seconds everytime you try to change something with your serial. you should note that when you use the Arduion IDE and try to change the comport or the board.

data is being sent over the serial connection to checkout if that port is available (or something like that). That lets the microcontroller restart and blink randomly, which is no problem but should be mentioned. That could happen when the 'Looking for Com Ports' waiting screen appears or when you plugin your uC for the first time. Just wait a few seconds before activating the COM port in my program until the uC is setup correctly and waiting for data.

If all that won't help i have got another idea. we have to check out if it is a problem on your pc or on your uC. we could try it with boblight. for that we have to change the source code. we have to break down the problem to solve it. but we will solve it, I'm sure :-)

Check your hardware (pins 2-13), check your board settings in arduino IDE!

I am almost 100% positiv that LED is. Set by the bootlloader, not from you java app. When activating the com port in thd java,led13 turns on. So the uc is receiving the rgb data and is doing nothing with it since the crc is prob,@ably always wrong. Thats way it is working perfect once i stop the java with a breakpoint and let it run after 10s have ellapsed. It would help jf you could add a start sequence sent by the uC eg 0xAA 0x55 to the java. Once this sequence was received the uc us ready to go otherwise still he us still busy in the bootlader. It is independent of win7 becauze same behavior with xp.


Thx
Hi,

First of, thank you very much for a very nice instructable!

Unfortunately I too have the same problem that only blue light is showing from the pin 13 and that's it. Nothing else is happening even though I see that the Java app is sending data to the Mega.

Did you guys figure this out or is it still a work in progress?

Thanks for your time and I too hope that this problem can be solved!
Try my Python program. My Arduino Mega2560 runs perfectly fine with it now
http://db.tt/vguZrVVH

Everybody else who want to check out this program let me know how to improve it. This is actually my very first Python program ;-)

Thank you for the Python program. At the moment I tested it just on breadboard with the multimeter and the pwm pins vary the voltage.
I had the same problem with pin 13 and it seems to be because of the serial communication but I don't know how to solve it.

boblight does not work for me at all.

I hope that after I get all my parts everything will work fine with this python program.
Great job!

I struggled a bit though to find and install all libraries that were necessary.

Is there a posibility to compile it to an executable? so I don't have to open it in python all the time.
Once the libraries and Python are installed you can have a shortcut on your Desktop and doubleclick the Python script and it starts automatically.
Or you can start it from the comand line python yourscript.py

But I will post you an exe-file soon.

Regarding the functionality of boblight and ledtvlights original JAVA program, I am pretty sure it is because of the different Serial-Port-conections on the different Arduino boards.
Some are having the FT232 chip, some of them are having a ATMega8 with bootloader which needs an extra second before respectively is making an Auto SW Reset .. look here for some details
http://arduino.cc/en/Main/ArduinoBoardMega2560
I know about the different chips, I have mega2560 which has ATMega8 and yes it causes problems.
I read many posts about this and found out that there is actually a new firmware supposed to correct this. I flashed it on my arduino using the FLIP utility from Atmel, but I'm not completely sure it changed sth. I mean the log showed that the update was successful but I'm not sure if it changed sth, the bootloader version that I have now is 1.2.0 and I don't know which is the original one.
It is tricky to reset the board and put it in DFU mode for the flash update but I managed to collect several pieces of information from different forums.

I tried again the JAVA application with no success. Your application works now just if I change the delay value in it to 0 vs 4 the default that you put.

I still need to receive the uln2003a ICs and then I will be able to fully test it with LEDs.
Your app is fine now, I managed to launch it directly so it's all right.

With boblight the problem comes because I don't quite understand how to change the config file for my needs, thus it gives me an error on launch that it cannot access the com port, although in the config file I modified it.

I can't wait to finish the whole thing, maybe then we can give the creator of this topic some info about some tweaks that need to be made in order for it to work.
I would like to have the JAVA app running as well or at least boblight but the only solution I find is to order a mega1280.
ledtvlight (author)  GeneRalf3 years ago
Hi, thanks but I don't have the Mega anymore. But as soon as I have build my own again I will rewrite the code to use it with my setup and will post the results.
ledtvlight (author)  Soulforger3 years ago
Hey, I do not have a working arduino here at the time, because I sold the ambient lights I built. Until I get my tlc5940 i cannot test it, sorry! But as soon as I get them I will work on that problem.
" ... The Mega2560 differs from all preceding boards in that it does not use the FTDI USB-to-serial driver chip. Instead, it features the Atmega8U2 programmed as a USB-to-serial converter ..."

could this be the root cause in combination of the Auto-Reset when the controlling PC opens the com port ?
After Reset (Com port opening) it takes about 1s before the Arduino is ready to receive and control the PWM ...
ledtvlight (author)  GeneRalf3 years ago
May be. I don't know and actually I do not have the time to test the Mega anymore. I built the whole thing for a person with an Arduino Mega and didn't have any problems at all. Now I don't have the Mega anymore.

I will update the whole tutorial in a few days to two weeks which will make it much easier. By the way this is much easier and gives you really good results:

http://ladyada.net/make/adalight/
n3v3 years ago
Really nice project, I came across it when looking into the Software side, since I cam up with an own HW design, using a TLC5940. Its been working really nice under Linux with boblight. However, under Windows it seems that the config file does not allow having two bytes for synchronising (works perfectly fine in ubuntu) and because of this i keep getting flashing colors, as the FF value is sent as a color directly to the LEDs.
I was wondering if anyone else has had such problems, or if it has something to do with windows7 dropping serial data. I'm using a FTDI FT232RL for the usb to serial.
ledtvlight (author)  n3v3 years ago
Just change the 'protocol' to only have one sync-byte.
Wes11803 years ago
This looks like a really cool project, I am considering doing it and so I have a couple of questions.

How long should the strips be for a 22" screen?

I have never done anything like this before so what sites should I look at to get similar prices to what you did?
ledtvlight (author)  Wes11803 years ago
A 22" screen means the diagonal is 22" long which means the width of your screen is 19.2" and the height is 10.8" (Pythagoras, lol).

You need (2*10.8")+19.2" of strip. So about 40" which is 1m. Here you could buy it online in China without shipping costs. I guess it takes about 1-2 weeks to arrive and I have never had any trouble with this store.

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/waterproof-1-meter-4-5w-30-led-rgb-light-strip-dc-12v-16868

You could also buy it on eBay for about the same price I guess.

The other parts:

TLC5940 and ULN2003 - Electronic store nearby or eBay.
Arduino - Ebay (Fake from china works good as well) or Sparkfun (if you want it original, but more expensive).
So I had a search and came across these.

http://bit.ly/nQLrz4 (arduino mega)

http://bit.ly/nhN9HI (ULN2003)

http://bit.ly/n8KYSy (LEDs)

A person in the comments of the LED page mention 3 parts where you can cut off, is that going to be a problem saying this requires 4 parts, should I consider getting a different one?

Also what type of power supply am I getting, I know 12v with at least 1amp but would it be one of these?

http://bit.ly/nEdEr1

And I'd just like to say that I really appreciate your help, especially since I am new to all of this and may be asking some silly questions :)
ledtvlight (author)  Wes11803 years ago
The Arduino price is okay.

You would need more LEDs, I guess. So buy at least two of the 1m strips. For my 37" TV 2 meters of LED strips was perfect. And for a 46" tv it was still really good. So if you have a TV of this size or even bigger you would definitely need longer strips. You looked for waterproof strips which is absolutely not necassary. Look at this article:

http://goo.gl/EeoFc

It costs a little bit more but you get 5 Meters and could sell the rest on the internet and get at least 20$ for the rest so it's still cheaper. And these LEDs can be used for all kind of stuff. Maybe you want to build another one for a friend or something.

These LED strips can be cut every 3 LEDs, so every 10cm. But then you have to solder your own connections which may be a bit tricky. But every 50cm there are solder points on the strips where you just have to solder a cable to the strip and that is really easy.

Your power supply link doesn't work.
I would prefer a bigger power supply than 1A because you can use these power supplies for all kinds of projects and maybe you want to use it with the rest of your LED strip which is 3 meters of length and need more power. Also you have got some reserves and the supply doesn't get that hot.

I guess you come from Great Britain, because one of your links leaded me to a british homepage. but you can get these power supplies everywhere:

http://goo.gl/MUBqu
First I'd like to say thanks for being patient with me.

I am considering getting a 3 screen setup, so would you suggest using 6 strips, 2 on the top of each screen and non on the sides becuase of the positioning. (this would be half a meter on the top of each screen as they are only 22")

Can the arduino mega support 6 strips?
And can your program support 3 screens?

The resolution would be 5760 x 1080
ledtvlight (author)  Wes11803 years ago
No my java program lets you only choose one single monitor but you can change that, so you can use your three screens. the only problem is the power of your cpu because the calculations will be calculated in one single thread and not on your GPU. i could change that if you want. Then I guess it would get faster. maybe you would donate a few dollars for my work, because it's a little bit more investment :-/
I don't think i'm going to be getting the three screens, but i would donate if I could, but unfortunately I don't really have enough money at the minute, one of the reasons why I haven't gotten any of the stuff for this yet, sorry.
ledtvlight (author)  Wes11803 years ago
Hi, no that shouldn't mean you have to send me money. I just wanted to tell you that if I have to make such big changes to the source code and test everything that this costs a lot of time and it would just be fair if i at least get a little something for it. I'm sorry for your current financial situation and hope you can get all the parts in a near future.
I was just wanting you to know that if I could, I would donate as I like the stuff you have done
LassiVV3 years ago
Hello, first of all awesome project thanks to you :) I make hardware ok, but no i dont get boblight to work anyway. With you own java program all works ok, but i want use boblight because you recommend that.

I try change boblight config file. I can change all com port, channels pcs and other settings ok. But no light light up my arduino board. And tx/rx leds no blinking when i start boblighttd and after that getpixel progman. Both programs shows only black (black) Windows CMD -window.

Can you copy/paste or upload config file what works with your arduino code? Or explain can i change arduino code/or boblight config file right.

I am very thankfull if you can answer to me with this problem :) I can c/p some picture/video with my setup when i get that working, if that ok.
ledtvlight (author)  LassiVV3 years ago
I will do that as soon as I get my tlc5940 and can build another ambilight. I will then update my project as well because I think it is much easier and really cheap.
desol0073 years ago
I am not sure how to install boblight. I have your software working but I can not get boblight to work. I have win7, arduino mega and uno. I am not sure how or where to put the boblight.conf file at. Thanks for any help
ledtvlight (author)  desol0073 years ago
It's not necassary to 'install' boblight. It just works out of the box. First start boblightd (the daemon who listens) and after that start the getpixel-program which analyzes your screen and sends the data to the daemon who then sends the bytes to your microcontroller.
Thanks, I was confused now I got it
estqwerty4 years ago
Great video, i'll build it only to watch star wars again !!!

i researched how to add more PWM ports to arduino.
take a look at this : http://www.arduino.cc/playground/Learning/TLC5940
may will be able to use only one arduino ???
ledtvlight (author)  estqwerty4 years ago
Yes, it seems as if that is a good hardware part. I guess you can use it to drive more LEDs.
can you update the code if this is working?
will one arduino will be able to control more strips - i mean it is not a cpu issue?
ledtvlight (author)  estqwerty3 years ago
no it's not a cpu issue. just add a few tlc5940 and you can control many strips. i just ordered two tlc5940 from china. it takes some time to arrive but then i will test them out. maybe it's still interesting for you.
ledtvlight (author)  estqwerty4 years ago
Yes it seems possible to me.
gacorda4 years ago
You could use tlc5940 chip which can prevent the use or pucrchase of another arduino.
1-40 of 67Next »