Note that the requirements are based on fabrics with a minimum usable width of 42in
One Jelly Roll
2.2m (2 1⁄2yd) backing fabric
1m (1 1⁄8yd) for front joining strips
70cm (3⁄4yd) for back joining strips
1.2m (1 3⁄8yd) of 90in wide wadding or use leftover pieces: minimum 10 1⁄2in square. See section 'Cutting instructions' Step 2.
Approx 130 x 158cm (52 1⁄2 x 63in) based on a 10 1⁄2in block
Step 1: Cutting Instructions
2. From both the backing fabric and the wadding, carefully cut thirty 10 1⁄2in squares.
3. From the front joining strip fabric, carefully cut twenty 1 3⁄4in wide strips across the width of the fabric.
4. From the back joining strip fabric, carefully cut twenty 1 1⁄8in wide strips across the width of the fabric.
2. Place a second Jelly Roll strip right side down on top of the first strip. Using a 1⁄4in seam, join on the long edge nearest to the centre of the block. Open out and press. Right sides together and matching up the raw edges, place a third Jelly Roll strip on top of the second strip and stitch in place. Continue working in this way until the wadding is covered – you will need five strips. See Figure 1
3. Repeat Steps 1 and 2 until you have made thirty blocks.
4. All the blocks need to be the same size and must be true squares, so trim if necessary.