Rogue make this awesome Flash Benders, that give you great control over your flash photography light, you can use them independently, or combined with an umbrella.
I actually have one on order, but that didn't stop me having a go at making one myself when playing around with a Jiffy bag. Plus you can use the bubble wrap of the jiffy bag to give it a softbox mode too.
Watch this video to see how it works.
Step 1: Materials and Tools
- A Jiffy Bag or Mailing Envelope, the padded kid. Mine is a A4 size but shorter.
- Thick solid core electrical wire
- A scrap of electonics stripboard or veraboard
- Black Duct Tape
- Clear Tape
- Reusable Cable Ties, or a Velcro strap. I used RapStraps.
- Double Sided tape
- Optional - Relfective Foil tape
- Optional - Epoxy Resin
- Stanley Knife or Boxcutter
- Soldering Iron and solder
- Wire Snips
- Optional, but very handy to wind wire Bench Clamp and Drill
Step 2: Measure and Mark
Mark both sides.
Step 3: Cut out a front panel
Very carefully use the knife to cut through just the top layer of paper. If you press down slightly you can feel it cut through the paper, however do not press all the way down onto a cutting surface. We don't want to cut through the bubble wrap or the paper on the underside.
Also leave some extra material and flaps at the bottom to attach the wires with later.