Thank you so much for purchasing the "Joule Thief" LED Night Light Kit
Now that the kits are shipping, I want to provide "Step by Step" pictures of the assembly.
- Start with the resistors. Cut the leads in half (makes the soldering easier), and bend the leads. I use a small screwdriver to round the bends.
- Insert the resistors into the corresponding holes of the PCB. Make sure that they are in the correct positions. (The picture should help identify the color code.)
- Flip the PCB and solder the resistor leads. Trim the excess leads.
- Insert CdS sensor into PCB and solder, then trim the leads.
- Solder the 50k ohm trimmer pot. (Ignore the extra hole - that's there to accommodate different styles of pots.)
- Keep soldering the rest of parts.
- LEDs have polarity. Observe the flat side of LEDs to align with the markings on the PCBs. Anode (longer lead) goes to the right, looking from the front of PCB.
- Battery clips snap into the holes from the bottom side of the PCB. Might need some force to snap them in. Solder them.
Take a moment to make sure that everything is in the correct place, and in the correct orientation. Then insert a battery and take the Night Joule Thief to a dark room. LEDs should light up.
Adjust the trimmer pot (VR1) so that the LEDs turn on at the desired darkness (as necessary).
I think that the assembly is quite straightforward, but please let me know if you have any questions or have difficulty assembling.