In the End I am very happy with the outcome. I am giving it to the little bugger soon. hope he like it.
JUST A heads up, i am starting the project with an already built joule thief. I could just copy a link from another instructible but that would be too easy...
Also this is my first instructible hope you all like it.....
Step 1: Set Up/ What You Will Need
-1 joule thief circuit ALREADY BUILT!
-some type of craft wood
-old light bulb (preferable already burnt out-more green that way)
-some type of switch
-table saw/hand saw
-battery holder AA
-goggles (safety First)
-light bulb holder (where you screw it in)
-electrical tape/liquid tape/hot glue
-hinge ( with screws)
-music for motivaton
-medical attention standing by (MOTHERS OR WIVES!!)
Total Cost<10 dollars.
old light bulb- free
leds- 50 cents (25c/1)
wood- free for me, maybe 6.00??
light base- 3.05
TOTAL COST =10 dollars or less
Step 2: Making the Box
for those back in the states i made a 4.5 x 4.5 x 3.5 box (L x W x H)
I will try to explain what i did and maybe follow along on my crude picture of what I did. i am no artist do not critique my boxes....
1. I cut the 2 bases first.
2. I cut 2 longer side which i set ON TOP OF the bottom base
3. Then I cut 2 SMALLER sides which would find their way Between the ends of the first 2 sides and then would be ON TOP OF the bottom base
4. I then used a drill to cut the hole in the middle (about ) of the top base. they SHOULD be the same size so normally it would not make a difference so just choose one of the bases and get a hole in it. After the pilot hole i started with a chisel around the hole and just started breading wood with prying and using a hammer. the smarter thing to do here would be to just drill it out but i didn't have a big enough drill bit soo....... that is how the chisel came in.
5. I added a hinge for easy opening for changing of the battery's and repair if need be. hopelfuuly not.
6. Make it personal. Around this time I added my brothers name to the top base on the outside right next to the light bulb slot..
Step 3: Light Bulb
I got how i did it from here...
After that I put "liquid Tape" inside metal for insulation purposes. hot glue or electrical tape could also be used.