Introduction: Joule Thief Night Light
Well, since everyone is raving about the joule thief, I though I would hop on the band wagon and give it a shot. I ended up building a little night light for my little brother. and making a very big mess later for me to clean up : )
In the End I am very happy with the outcome. I am giving it to the little bugger soon. hope he like it.
JUST A heads up, i am starting the project with an already built joule thief. I could just copy a link from another instructible but that would be too easy...
Also this is my first instructible hope you all like it.....
Step 1: Set Up/ What You Will Need
For the Joule Thief Night Light you will need......
-1 joule thief circuit ALREADY BUILT!
-some type of craft wood
-old light bulb (preferable already burnt out-more green that way)
-some type of switch
-table saw/hand saw
-battery holder AA
-goggles (safety First)
-light bulb holder (where you screw it in)
-electrical tape/liquid tape/hot glue
-hinge ( with screws)
-music for motivaton
-medical attention standing by (MOTHERS OR WIVES!!)
Total Cost<10 dollars.
old light bulb- free
leds- 50 cents (25c/1)
wood- free for me, maybe 6.00??
light base- 3.05
TOTAL COST =10 dollars or less
Step 2: Making the Box
I started with trying to figure out what i needed to fit everything in. i ended up cutting the pieces twice because I didn't measure right...
for those back in the states i made a 4.5 x 4.5 x 3.5 box (L x W x H)
I will try to explain what i did and maybe follow along on my crude picture of what I did. i am no artist do not critique my boxes....
1. I cut the 2 bases first.
2. I cut 2 longer side which i set ON TOP OF the bottom base
3. Then I cut 2 SMALLER sides which would find their way Between the ends of the first 2 sides and then would be ON TOP OF the bottom base
4. I then used a drill to cut the hole in the middle (about ) of the top base. they SHOULD be the same size so normally it would not make a difference so just choose one of the bases and get a hole in it. After the pilot hole i started with a chisel around the hole and just started breading wood with prying and using a hammer. the smarter thing to do here would be to just drill it out but i didn't have a big enough drill bit soo....... that is how the chisel came in.
5. I added a hinge for easy opening for changing of the battery's and repair if need be. hopelfuuly not.
6. Make it personal. Around this time I added my brothers name to the top base on the outside right next to the light bulb slot..
Step 3: Light Bulb
Well what I did probably was not the correct way for this but to take apart the light bulb what I did was use a pliers and "peeled" off the copper bottom circle. then there is a glass(?) bottom that insulated the copper and i just used my dremel with a drill bit and drilled through and then broke the rest of the glass away at the bottem and took out all of the insides. I left the white power inside the bulb.
I got how i did it from here...
After that I put "liquid Tape" inside metal for insulation purposes. hot glue or electrical tape could also be used.
Step 4: Test Run/Put It All in the Box
I opted for a awesome blue switch and would be mounted outside the box. I used my trusty Dremel again and made a hole and then just kept working it on the wall with the mini saw bit that i have. it took about 5-10 minutes until the hole was big enough and it had a snug fit. you can also opt for mounting inside but i thought an outside switch was easier for a 10 year old to find in the dark and then he would accidentally mess up the wiring.....
Step 5: HAPPY ENDING!
After a day and a half I am done. By the way I did have to go to school for a good portion of the day.... so it was really only about 13 hours?? can that be right? well it took me awhile to cut the wood evenly.. the end reult is better than i expected and my little brother loved it and it is now sitting on his bed. I hope my first instructable was descent. if you have any questions just send a comment and i'll write back. the possibilities are endless for these Joule Thief Night Lights and any shape size color could be made. .
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.