loading
This is a work-in-progress, so the photos show the printer in different stages of construction.  It was originally delivered in plain form from MakerBot Industries.  Within a few months, the interior was littered with pieces of scrap, adhesive, grease and paint spills.   It looked like a set from Little Shop of Horrors. 

To cover the mess, I made the case black, inside and out with "Ebony" oil stain.  When it was done, the shape of the top reminded me of the "Nautilus" in Walt Disney's "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea".  I liked the look and decided to continue in the Jules Verne vein. I darkened the bright aluminum parts I had been adding to closer emulate wrought iron and began calling my MakerBot, the "JV" model.

Step 1: Height Gauge

Picture of Height Gauge
P1080404.JPG
Screen shot 2012-11-16 at 12.29.01 AM.jpg
Most of the changes I made, I either got from, or published on, Thingiverse.com, a site devoted primarily to 3D printing and takes it's format directly from Instructables.

The links I provide will take you directly to the "thing" I've added to my printer.  Hit your return button to get back.

One of the first additions I made was to permanently mount a precision height gauge that measures the distance between the extruder heads and the build surface.

I'm not a big fan of digital tools.  The gauge I use is mechanical, and looks quite at home sitting on top of the Jules Verne printer's extruders.


 
awesome mix of digital and analog! you should take some pics of the whole assembly and post them to the intro step!
bfk (author)  amandaghassaei2 years ago
Thank you Amanda. At the moment, the printer is in a state of flux, so I have to be careful any pictures I add aren't too confusing.