This instructable will illustrate how to hack the jumpstarter to create a functional and portable compressor to store in your garage or tuck away in your truck for emergencies.
Note: This will without a doubt void your warranty.
Step 1: Tools & Materials
1) Soldering Iron
2) Drill, knife or hole punch
1) Non Functioning Jump Starter with compressor
2) Plexiglas, plastic sheet, or some thin rigid material
3) Screws, Bolts
Step 2: Teardown
Caution: The battery may not store enough voltage to run the compressor or jump a car but is still capable of delivering a wake up jolt.
Step 3: Re Wire Power
2) Re-wire the leads to the new power jack. The small compressor motor should only have a hot and ground wire. The leads that were connected to the battery in the jumper will now be connected to the new port.
* Yes the compressor turned yellow. I had a couple dead ones.
Step 4: Mount Cover
2) Drill holes in the cover to match the compressor and bolt it on.
Step 5: Make Power Cable
1) You can plug the compressor into the wall and use the AC/DC adapter that was used to recharge the jumper. And...
2) Wire a 12v port plug and run the compressor from the vehicles battery.
Wire a 12V Port Plug to run from the vehicles battery:
1) Select a wire long enough to reach to the farthest tire.
2) Solder one end of the wire to the 12V car jack as shown in the picture.
3) Solder the other end to a DC jack that fits into the DC port on the compressor
Caution: Pay attention to polarity or you will short our your car battery and blow a fuse.