The body of the fish is made out of an old rusty 20 litre paint tin (I think!) and is mounted on some thick, rusty wire. I can't remember where I found the material (probably at some tip or at the side of the road) I do remember my wife asking me what in god’s name was I doing collecting rusted junk from the side of the road!
Step 1: Step 1 - Materials and Tools
If your married like I am then you might have to work on a reason why you need to stop the car every time you see an old piece of thrown away, rusted and useless (not for much longer though) junk.
1. Rusted sheet metal - I used a 20 lt can I found.
2. Rusted wire. This is attached to the fish and used to display it.
3. Thin rusted wire. This is used to attach the fish to the display wire.
1. Tin snips.
2. Sharp, pointy things (used to scratch your design into the sheet metal.
3. Various pliers
Step 2: Step - 2 Design and Cutting
1. Cut-out a nice square piece of metal from whatever you have managed to find.
2. Use something sharp to scratch in the areas you will need to cut. When you come to the head, it's not too important to have everything symmetrical. You can fix this up once the general design has been cut-out.
3. The sketch below is what I worked from.
2. Use a ruler to make sure your ribs are nice and straight.
3. Start cutting.