Introduction: Kaju Barfi/ Kaju Burfi/ Kaju Katli/ Cashew Fudge by Sharmilazkitchen | Indian Authentic Dessert
Kaju Barfi/ Kaju Katli is one of the popular sweets of India. It literally means “Cashew Fudge” which is synonymous with Indian great festivals like Holi, Diwali and Dussera. Every year in Diwali we receive a sweet box in which kaju barfi is must have in there.
Ground cashews cooked in sugar syrup and then give a diamond shape. It is favorite to all age groups because it’s mouth melting, sweet and insanely delicious. It’s always a good way to enjoy the cashew goodness in every bite.
Watch the video for all necessary tips and tricks to make the Kaju Barfi/ Kaju Burfi/ Kaju Katli/ Cashew fudge
- 200 gm cashew
- 100 gm sugar
- 50 ml water
- 2 big pinches/ 1/4th tsp Cardamom powder for flavoring
- Silver varakh for garnishing (optional) See more at: http://sharmilazkitchen.com/recipe-items/kaju-bar...
Step 2: Instructions
- Grind the cashews to a fine powder. Don't over run the blender. The cashew releases oil if you over blend and it makes the cashew powder sticky. You won't get the powder then.
- Sieve the cashew powder and remove the granules, if any. What happened is it won't look good or taste good if cashew granules left in the barfi and you can't overrun the grinder as cashew powder will become oily. So some granules will stay. it's better to sieve the powder. You can put the cashew granules to make korma or curry by grinding them again.
- Now make the sugar syrup. put sugar and water along with cardamom powder
- Let the sugar dissolves completely in the water. As we add very little water in the sugar syrup, it will be thick quickly.
- Once the syrup is thick and reached one string consistency, put the cashew powder.
- Cook on medium to low heat and stir continuously.
- Let the cashew powder cook in the sugar syrup and keep stirring. Importantly the bottom should not stick to the pan.You should use non stick pan to do this.
- After 2-3 minutes the cashew mixture will become thick. It will start leaving the sides and come together.
- Once it reaches to this stage, take out in a greased plate.
- Initially the cashew mixture will look thin, but as soon as it is cooling down, the mixture will be hardening.
- So wait for only 3-4 minutes. Then start kneading and make a dough.
- Don't over knead the mixture. Only upper surface should be smooth. the dough ill be semi hard dough.
- Now grease the parchment paper. place the dough on greased paper.
- Cover with half of the parchment paper and roll out the dough until 1/4th inch thick. The crack will remain at the edges. Nothing to do as such
- For garnishing, cover with chandi ka varak or silver leaf.
- Silver varak generally covered with paper. You should not touch directly otherwise it will stick to your hand.
- Very gently put the silver leaf part down and place on the kaju sheet. After that let it cool down completely.
- Once cools down, cut into diamond shape.
- The kaju barfi is done.
- See more at: http://sharmilazkitchen.com/recipe-items/kaju-bar...