Step 1: Box selection
- best boxes/storage bins have flat sides (easier to cut doors out)
- screw down the lid to the box with six nuts and bolts (this is so the kennel does not come apart)
-screw locations should be spread out to offer most strength (the corners and in the middle of the long sides are ideal spots)
- cut the entrance opening with a hack saw (start bending it downwards at the corners to make it cut downwards, this creates a nice rounded corner.
- drill ventilation holes around the top of the box (I used a 1" drill bit, spacing isn't critical as long as it's fairly even)
Step 2: Door latch
- drill 2 holes in the door and 2 at the top of the box to accommodate latch screws
- use either metal strapping or those handy flat metal pieces with pre-drilled holes
- secure 2 pieces of the strapping to the door with 2 nuts and bolts (some sort of lock washer helps to keep the screws from coming loose)
- at the top of the box screw 2 nuts and long bolts.
- when you close the door use another set of nuts to secure it in place (I use some wing nuts for ease and speed of opening)