The final result is more than just a key and letter holder. It's also a chalkboard and most of all, an object of discussion !
This is the perfect simple project for winter time. Put your favourite Christmas music on and start this project !
Original idea - Anne Claude
Step 1: Stuff you'll need
- A broken or unused wooden toboggan, I found mine at the local thrift store for less than 10$.
- A long cord: red colour makes a great visual contrast with wood.
- Few hooks
- A power drill with drill bits
- A beam detector
- A screwdriver
- Chalkboard or chalk paint + MDF board
Step 2: Clean the toboggan
Remove all stickers;
Remove old cord;
You can choose to sand or not.
Also optional: apply a finishing product.
I kept mine as it was. I like the rustic feel of its imperfect varnish.
Step 3: Design you cord pattern
Step 4: Install on the wall
- Locate a wooden beam with your beam detector and mark its emplacement on the wall
- Drill holes on each wooden crosspiece of your toboggan. These holes must be aligned.
- Use screws to fix your new letter holder on the wall.
Step 5: Addons
I installed few metal hooks on a crosspiece for my keys.
I added a chalkboard on the upper segment of the toboggan.
I would suggest to add some pockets to store small objects.