Introduction: Key Lime Pie
Key lime pie, it is a nice sweet tart pie. This recipe is a culmination of a few recipes I have used over the years. This key lime is a heavier type of pie. It is more filling than it whipped type of pie, so more filling means if you are on a diet this one is not for you, but it is quite tasty.
Step 1: The Ingredients
- Two 14 oz sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup of key lime juice ( approximately 2 lbs of key limes)
- 6 egg yolks
- Some blue food coloring (optional)
- 1 1/4 cup of graham cracker crumbs
- 1/2 stick of unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 cup of heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup of powdered sugar
- 1/4 tsp of cream of tartar
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract
- Lime slice (optional)
Step 2: The Crust
- Melt the 1/2 stick of unsalted butter in the microwave.
- Add in the sugar and stir, it should distribute and dissolve fairly easy.
- Add in the gram cracker crumbs and mix.
- Pour the crust mixture into the pie pan and push it firmly up into the sides and into the bottom of the pan creating an even layer on all sides.
- Now place the pie crust into the pre-heated oven of 350ºF and bake for 10minutes, meanwhile it is baking we can mix up the pie filling, after it is done pull it and and we are ready fo the pie mixture to go in.
Step 3: Key Lime Pie Filling
- Separate the egg yolks from the egg whites.
- In the same bowl the yolks are in add in the two 14 oz sweetened condensed milk, and mix untill the yolks are thourghly encorporated into the mixture.
- Now add in the key lime juice and mix again.
- Now you will have a very yellow key lime pie mixture.
- If you want you can add some blue food coloring to give the mixture a green tint.
- Now just pour the mixture into the cooked gram cracker crust.
Step 4: Baking and Garnishing
I like to make my own whipped cream instead of using the store bought stuff. I always make a little more then is needed just in case someone wants extra on their slice.
To make the whipped cream just:
- Beat the heavy whipping cream in a mixture on high for a few minutes and you will see it become light and fluffy.
- Add in the sugar, cream of tartar and vanilla extract while it is being whipped.
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.