Materials you'll need:
1) An Old Shoe - Trust me, you'll need this one.
2) Lysol Disinfectant - Because who wants to stick their hand in a germ-ridden shoe?
3) Kiwi Cleaner
(Target Link) - Because who wants to stick their hand in an dirty-looking shoe?
4) Leather Needle
(AC Moore Link) - Using this to sew will make your life easier. The link is to a pack of several needles. The leather needle has a triangular body near the tip.
5) Button Thread
(AC Moore Link) - Couldn't find the exact product online that I bought at AC Moore store (Dual Duty Plus - Craft and Button), but this should do. Anyway, go into the store and look for button thread. It's heavy duty and it was recommended to me! Pick any color you'd like! Style it up.
6) Leather Thimble
(AC Moore Link) - Really, any thimble will do. I used something like this
(bought at AC Moore, but can't find a link to it on their site). I think the leather (or coin) thimbles are a little easier to work with. They help protect your finger from getting hurt!
7) Pliers - This will help pull the needle through some tough-to-push-through parts of the material.
8) Box Cutter - To cut through the shoe like butter.
9) Scissors - To have a little more control when cutting through the shoe.
10) Rotary Hole Punch
(AC Moore Link) - Remember that part about the pliers? This is for those parts that really suck to push a needle through.
11) Paper towels - You'll need them when you clean the shoes with the Kiwi Cleaner.
12) A pen or pencil - It'll be very helpful in measuring and cutting.
Optional Materials (depending on the circumstances):
a) Fabric - If you want to line the inside of the shoe because putting your hand in a shoe creeps ya out. I thought I would use fabric to do this, but I liked the aesthetic without it.
b) Tape - It's always good to have around. It may be useful to tape the ends of the shoelaces if you trim them at the end. It'll keep them from fraying.
c) Needle Holder - Anything to stick the needle in while you're not using it will prevent losing the needle. I lost my needle several times because I kept failing to use the needle holder.
d) A series of TV shows or movies you've been trying to find time to watch - Some parts take a while to sew. Be entertained while you do it!