Introduction: Kids Build - Memo Peg Wedding Favors
Hi, I am Hazel and I am a maker girl. I thought these memo pegs would be a lovely wedding favor, or even a wedding gift for someone! I made them sparkly and glittery and with butterflies on them - three of my favourite things! But you could coordinate them to a colour scheme or the things that you like. They would look nice as a name holder that people could take home with them after the wedding, to put on their fridge to hold memos or photographs. I had a lot of fun making these and you don't need many things to make them, you probably have them around the house already, so why not give them a go?
Step 1: Gather Materials
You probably have everything you need to complete this project already! You will need:
- Wooden pegs (the spring kind) - we used storm pegs because the metal spring on them is so much prettier than the regular kind
- Magnets - for safety we were only using ferrous magnets. But if you are an adult, you can use rare earth (neodymium) magnets, as they are stronger and will hold more
- Hot glue gun - I am allowed to use a hot glue gun if an adult is there with me. But they can burn you, so make sure there is an adult with you.
- Scraps of pretty paper or card - I used gold card and glittery card. Our makerspace has a big box of pretty scraps for people to reuse in their projects. I think these originally came from birthday cards.
- Embellishments - I used these dimensional butterflies because I think they are really pretty, but you can use whatever you like to suit your theme
- Double sided tape - not essential, but we found this easier to use to stick down our embellishments - you can use the hot glue gun again if you prefer!
Step 2: Attach Magnets to Pegs
First, you need to attach your magnets to the pegs. We used a hot glue gun to attach them about halfway down.
Step 3: Decorate With Paper Scraps
Next, we decorated the pegs with scraps of pretty paper. If you had ribbon, that would look lovely as well! Measure the peg then cut the paper to the correct size. Then glue on using glue stick, double sided tape, or hot glue.
Step 4: Add Your Embellishments
Now it is time to add embellishments. I added mine to the ends of the pegs - I decided which way up I wanted each peg to go then used double-sided tape to fix them in place. You could use other types of glue if you prefer. I used these lovely butterflies which have fluttering wings.
Step 5: Using Your Memo Pegs
That is your pegs made! Now all you need to do is find something cool for them to hold, and a magnetic surface to hang them from! I hope you like them!