Magnet = £2.50 each set (I used alarm contacts)
Duck = £1.25 each (ebay)
LED's = 4p each (ebay)
Base = free (ofcuts and treasure found in garage)
Step 1: Magnet in duck
- Drill a hole the same diameter as the magnetic contact mine required Ø15mm. Place it in the middle of the bottom of the duck. I used a hole saw in a cordless drill.
- You must ensure you use the contact without the wires on.
- The magnet is held in by friction, however if you want a more permanent fixing use hot glue
Step 2: Base - cutting the squares
- Cut MDF into 120 x 120mm squares
- The number of squares depends on the thickness of mdf used and how high you want the pillars
- I used 22mm thick MDF is it means less cutting and glueing of layers
Step 3: Base - Marking out
- On three squares use a ruler to cross the corners to find the centre
- Use a compass to create a Ø120mm circle on the three squares
- Put these three squares to one side as they will become the top of the pillars later on.
Step 4: Base - Cutting the holes
- Cross the corners to find the centre.
- Using an adjustable hole saw / Fly cutter create a Ø100mm hole in all the layers of MDF
- I used a hand drill, however i would recommend using a pillar drill set to a slow speed as its a bit safer.
- If you do not have the above tools you could use a coping saw or electric jigsaw to create the holes
Step 5: Base - Glue
- Using PVA wood glue stic the layers together until you reach the desired height
- You must ensure that the holes are aligned and not the outside edges
- Stick the top layer on that you marked out earlier