All of them were knit with Lion Brand Wool-Ease on size 8 aluminum DPNs.
The pattern for the green hose I made up. They are too small for my husband (that was a lesson in swatching!) but they turned out lovely nonetheless and he still likes to wear them. The cuff was knit separately from side to side until it was long enough to fit around the calf. It was attached to the finished sock at the end. I didn't like this method because I have a hard time attaching things evenly. The cables down the side were easily done and helped me to make the second sock the same size.
The brown and white pair were made second. This pattern came from "Designs for Knitting Kilt Hose and Knickerbocker Stockings" by Veronica Gainford. This is one of the few patterns in the book that is for the whole sock (rather than just the cuff). I had to correct a few errors but the socks came out well-fitting and comfortable. The cuff is knit, then the k2, p2 ribbed under-cuff, then the sock is turned inside out and knit on the wrong side (which really becomes the right side). This allows both right sides to be facing out when the socks are turned down.
The black and white pair were made third, just in time for Robert Burns Night, an annual Scottish celebration. This pattern also came from Gainford's book but the pattern was only for the cuff. I carried it down the leg and had to account for the decreases and pattern changes myself.
The black and white pair have an afterthought heel rather than the standard heel flap. I don't like the heel flap and gusset so I tried the afterthought heel with the third pair. While I find it easier, I don't think it looks as good. I think next time I'll try a short row heel instead. I'd also like to try a round toe instead of the standard toe decreases.
The slideshow includes pictures of my husband at Burns Night in the black and white socks, the waste yarn knit in for the afterthought heel, and close-ups of the sock backs (where the pattern is fudged due to the spaced decreases).