First, I would like to thank you for viewing my instructable.
And, if you enjoyed it, please give me a vote!
I tried to figure out what I wanted to build for the kinetic contest.
So, I went to google patents website and searched for kinetic.
This kinetic sculpture came up on my search.
Built and designed by Gordon E. Bradt.
So, I would like to give a big thanks to Gordon for his design.
They showed a golfer in the patent, so I figured I would try and do a hockey player instead.
I am not going to go into heavy detail on building this, as everyone's would be different.
Unless, of course, we had the exact same parts.
But, this should give you a good start!
There are many different ways to do things, so I am showing you, the way I did it.
If you know of a better or cheaper way, let us know.
Now onto the instructable...
If you like my instructable, please take a second and vote for me!
Step 1: Parts and Tools Needed
There will probably be other tools you would use, but
I wanted to keep my list simple for the instructable.
- Wire Cutters
- Needle Nose Pliers
- Dremel tool
- Solder materials
Step 2: Parts for the Sculpture
I went to the local surplus store and found most of my parts.
Found some parts at home.
And the hobby store, too!
Here is a brief list of the parts you will need:
- Motor AC or DC 4rpm (Mine happens to be DC)
- Brass tubing
- Piano Wire
- Springs (the steel springs are very difficult to bend)
- Base materials (scrap MDF)
Step 3: Bending the Springs
Bending the main spring was kind of a difficult task.
As the metal was very hard.
I did manage to bend it, for the part.
Step 4: The Mechanism
I attached the base spring to the brass tube with JB weld.
It is a pretty simple design.
If you study the video, you will understand how it works.
The piano wire gets squeezed like a spring.
Then when it gets to the mid point, it pops open.
Creating the spring action!
Watch this video and you will understand!
Step 5: Attaching the Mechanism to the Motor
I used JB weld to attach the main spring and the sleeve for the mechanism.
The sleeve attaches to the motor. (JB welded)
The squeezed tube in step 4 can be slid into the sleeve.
The main mechanism can be taken off, by removing the cotter pin.
If you are confused, look at the pictures.
Step 6: The Stanley Cup Aka Base
The base did not start out as the Stanley Cup.
I was just going to have the hockey player just standing on the clear plastic light cover.
The I thought it looked kinda like the Stanley Cup.
And went from there...
The base was made with some scrap mdf, I cut out on my mini cnc.
CNC (Computerized Numerical Control)
I found all the parts around the house and at the surplus store.
I found a few covers from aspirin bottles. (home)
The main part of the base is a light cover. (surplus store)
The pictures say a 1000 words.
Now, onto step 7
Step 7: The Electronics
I just put a switch inline on the positive side.
Battery is a 9volt battery.
I put velco on the battery and in the holder.
To keep the battery in place.
Step 8 is next...
Step 8: Making the Hockey Player
A spring, for the torso, and a few springs for the shoulders.
In order to solder the spring to the brass, I had to use silver solder.
Everything else is just regular solder.
Brass to brass.
I just kinda eyeballed all the bending of the legs and arms.
The ice skate blades were soldered.
Step 9: Making the Hockey Puck
I attached it to the wire with some 5 minute epoxy.
The brass wire is .125 wire, bent to shape.
Attached to the base with a brass screw.
It was not real precise.
I just kinda freehanded bent the wire.
One more step...
Step 10: Putting It All Together
I just soldered some 18g copper wire to the bottom of the skates,
and wound the wire around the top of the base.
That attached the legs.
As for the torso, that is attached to the mechanism.
I had a 50 cent piece and thought that would make a good head.
I just encircled it with copper wire.
The hockey stick is just some piano wire bent to shape.
Then I soldered some brass to the bottom.
Put some shrink wrap on the stick to look like black tape.
I did paint the base a chrome color, but was unsatisfied with the paint.
As, it will leave fingerprints.
Suppose it will have to dry for a month or so...
I scrubbed and polished the finished metals.
I did use Brasso on the brass.
Overall, I wish I would have had stiffer springs for the arms and torso.
But, it looks pretty good on the mantle.
I hope you enjoyed my instructable!
Video below! Check it out!
Step 11: Video of the Hockey Player in Motion
Just shot this video this morning.
Works pretty good.
Oh, and don't forget to vote for me!