Introduction: Kinetic Wave Simulator Made Easy!
This is simple device which imitate organic motion (natural wave) by means of mechanical movements. First Inspiration and reference is taken from Kaleb Craft project, due credits to him! Here in this project I have tried to simplify making process as much as possible, so anyone without high technical design knowledge can replicate the same and have fun to educate/demonstrate others!:) Educator can use this to teach various kinetic motions to students, just by placing different types of camshafts (which can be 3d printed). And this also can be used for large scale kinetic art installation!Kinetic wave simulator in motion!
Step 1: List of Materials and Tools
To start making this project you need following items with you.
- 5 mm Acrylic sheet
- 3 mm Acrylic sheet
- Laser cutter
- 3D Printer with ABS or PLA
- Glue gun
(Note: If you have lower intensity laser cutter machine, you can use 3 mm and 1.5 mm MDF as well)
Step 2: Laser Cutting Components
Here I am attaching DXF files to cut acrylic sheets by laser cutter machine.
You can just download these files and import in your laser cutter machine platform to start operation.
If you know CAD designing, and want to modify it you can use your creativity to play in Autodesk Fusion 360 or AutoCAD.
- 5 mm acrylic sheet CAD files
- Standing Arm.dxf
- Wheel Handle.dxf
- 3 mm acrylic sheet file
- Motion Arm.dxf (Quantity:30, although you can decide this by yourself, if you want smaller or bigger length)
- Arm spacer.dxf (Quantity:30)
Step 3: 3D Print Components
Now, you have to 3d print the 2 components: Camshaft, and 3 rods
Here I am attaching STL file for Rod and Camshafts. (If you can get 5 mm aluminium rods you dont need to 3d print it, here I have tried to manufacture all the stuff by myself)
3 types of Cam shafts and Rod I am attaching here.
- Cam type 01.STL
- Cam type 02.STL
- Cam type 03.STL
Note: You can scale up and down in Cura if you want. And you have to file 3d printed rods (If 3d printed) and camshafts to insert and fit at the best inside standing arms
Step 4: Components Ready for Assembly
First of all take all the components at one place for assembly.
Now we will assemble,
- Motion arm mechanism
- Standing arm with camshaft
Step 5: Assembly of Motion Arms and Standing Arms
- You have to insert Motion Arms and Spacer on the Rod
- Insert other two Rods in the base holes of standing Arms and apply glue at joining surface
- Insert Motion arms assembly rod in the top hole of standing arms and apply glue at joining surface
- Insert cam shaft in middle groove of standing arm
- Insert handle wheel on one side of Camshaft which can rotate camshaft 360 degree inside groove. Apply glue between surface of camshaft and wheel center hole
Step 6: Final Test Run
And your wave machine is ready to rotate and wave!
See here the video: Final Test Run
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.