It would also be fun for Halloween.
The set-up takes a little preparation and fiddling, and you need 2 accomplices, but there are no really special materials. I didn't buy anything when I made it, but you may need to get some supplies- check the list of what you need.
Step 1: What You Need
- 3 rooms- preferably not right next to each other; one that can be darkened, for the Tomb
- Candles/incense etc for atmosphere
- Spooky/strange music – borrow a CD from your library, or even record yourself playing a strange tune on any instrument or chanting/singing an odd melody in a weird voice
- An accomplice #1 to herd the victims- sorry, applicants-
- An accomplice #2 to hide in the casket and be the “mummy”- preferably someone not too tall
You will also need a costume for High Priest/Priestess- e.g old strange dressing gown/ draped sheet or doona cover, some jewellery around neck/head... doesn’t have to be elaborate
For King Tut’s casket -materials needed (see picture):
- Cardboard from one or more large cartons- enough to make the sides of a “coffin” shape large enough for your accomplice to lie in, about 30-35cm/12-15 inches wide/deep. You can join lengths together.
- A large piece of material for the shroud – as Egyptian- looking as you can- or plain black, purple or other colour- a sheet or bedspread is fine
- A pair of shoes – adult size
- A pair of gloves – plain material if you can get some, or you could use rubber gloves; soft stuffing so they look like hands (and something soft, like a couple of towels rolled up, to make “arm” shapes)
A small dish or bowl (or decorated silver lid) with a small “treasure”- e.g. piece of costume jewellery or plastic beetle “scarab”
To make King Tut’s mask- see step 4 – cardboard, gold paper (wrapping paper/chocolate box liner) or gold paint; blue or black paper/ribbon/paint for stripes; blue or black permanent felt pen
Notes- I’ve made this fairly roughly, just to show the set-up (the mask has lost a few gold stripes and got a bit bent from use) - but you can get the idea. Keep your room as dark as possible to cover any flaws. It doesn’t have to be elaborate, because everyone knows there’s a trick coming- they just anticipate something different ;)