If you are a cat-owner by yourself you probably know the ugly plushy cat-trees which are usually sold in shops. For me, this was an absolute no-go! So I headed out in the internet looking for alternatives an found this:
I immediately thought, that underneath the "balcony" I should be able to integrate the scratching pole and started sketching.
Step 1: Materials and Tools
The joints I made with simple wooden bars (20x20mm), screwed into the corners. One could also use metal angle brackets or if you have the tools on hand, you could also use a biscuit-joiner, Lamello or similar (I would have preferred this).
As other tools you will need:
- drill with necessary bits
- 2x: 1600x470 mm (back and front)
- 2x: 1600x600 mm (sides)
- 2x: 470x568mm (top and lower floor)
- 1x: 568x800mm (middle floor and base for pole)
- some carpet of your choice
- scratching pole (mine was the cheapest I could find, plus a spare piece,screwed together with a fitting rod)
Step 2: Building
Just make sure, that you do the larger cutout for the "balcony" as proper as possible, because you will need this part as the bottom for the pole!
The measurings are all in the pictures. If you need them in a larger size go to my flickr set.
According to the hight of your pole, you might need to adjust the height of the balcony-floor.