I didn't plan on making this into an instructable but why not show off my works to people who'd appreciate it. This is my first instructable so bear with me if it's not flawless. (excuse my lack of proper terminology)
I decided to take a few pics of the process and I'll give you a bit of an overview of how it all came together.
1) Disassembled the old xbox and laid out all the bits to figure out what I was working with.
2) Stacked it all up to get a rough idea of the dimensions.
3) Built a base out of 9 square Knex plates which happened to be exactly the size of the motherboard. Mounting the fan was difficult but the bendy posts came in hands and I strapped it in well to prevent vibration noise.
4) The step that was the hardest was mounting the power board. The little bugger got hot mounted above the heatsink but I realized the fan has a lo/hi switch and that fixed that problem. Also, the bottom of the board was quite dangerous and while working on it, I managed to get shocked a couple times. My goal was to make a plexiglass cover but I managed to scrounge more Knex plates to cover it up nicely.
5) The only glue used for this was to mount the controller ports to the bottom on the base Knex plates and the power button.
6) As a finishing touch, I rewired the power button to make it display orange instead of the boring old green.
Hope you enjoyed it. It still runs perfectly over a year and a half later.