This project was inspired by an idea I had for a pair of earrings. I have always liked the fishnet motif that is used in Japanese textiles, and I thought that koi fish would be a nice complement. For this project I also added Japanese maple leaves, which are gorgeous in the fall. So the effect I am going to is a koi pond in autumn. I decided to do a clock face because it is a project that has been on my list for a few months. It's also a good size (not too big or small) to try and execute this idea, and it can be done using paper and wood, perfect for the laser.
There are two phases to this project. First you build the body/supporting structures of the clock. Next you get fancy and decorate. I came up with this idea on Friday, started working Friday night, worked more on Saturday, and did gluing on Sunday and Monday. All in all it probably took me about 12 hours, much of it spent making CDR (CorelDraw) files and getting my paper pieces cut out. Since I am including my CDR files, anyone trying to re-create this piece will spend much less time on it.
And of course, I made it at TechShop.