It functions as a very pretty piece of functional art. However, it is missing a home since I do not have space where I live for it :( so it is staying con mis padres at the moment.
It is approximately 30" tall and about 30 lbs? (hard to tell since it is awkward to hold). This makes it difficult to mount to wall (I havn't tried yet). It actually stands on its own surprisingly well by balancing between two of the seconds rods.
Anyways! enjoy this fantastic piece of art and technology!
Here is video. You can see some ghosting and glitching. The ghosting can probably be solved with just using a slightly higher resistor? the glitches are just because some of the wires are loose. I took this video after a few months of this sitting in the cellar and didn't bother to go through the long debugging process of ensuring all proper connections...
Step 1: Materials
- 120 tubes 3" long (60 sec + 60 min) = 360" of tubing = 30 feet of 1" steel tubing (this is the hardest part to get just because you need so much)
- 24 tubes 2" long (24 hours) = 48" = 4 ft 3" diameter tubing (I used a broken table support for this)
- 100-200 ft of as thin of wire as you can find (magnet wire is a good option). Also, try to get black wire to blend in better.
- 60 for the seconds (choose color A)
- 60 for the minutes (choose color B)
- 24 for the hours (choose color C)
- 24 resistors (100 ohms or close)
- Arduino MEGA (you could work to put it onto regular arduino but we need 24 I/O pins in this build)
- DS 1307 (found here)