Introduction: LED Edge Lit Card
YuKonstruct is the first makerspace in Canada's north. Our mission is to provide access to shared space, quality tools, available expertise, and a collaborative environment to help makers build anything!
This card is a great use of our Epilog laser cutter, but with a bit of patience and a steady hand, you can also make it at home.
For this card you'll need:
- the templates provided with this instructable
- cardstock (we used black for the card base and white for the front of the card)
- craft foam
- 3" x 3" piece of 1/16" thick clear acrylic
- Coin cell battery
- a way to cut the cardstock and foam: X-acto knife, scissors, laser cutter or digital cutting machine
- a way to scratch the design into the acrylic: push pin, X-acto knife, Dremel or laser engraver
- double-sided tape or glue
You may also want markers, paint, glitter, stickers or other materials to decorate your finished card.
Step 1: Scratch the Design Into the Acrylic
We used the Epilog Fusion to engrave "YuKonstruct" on the clear acrylic.
If you are making this card at home (and you don't have a laser in your home), draw the design you would like to light up on a scrap piece of paper. Place the clear acrylic piece over your design and using a push pin, X-acto knife or Dremel, scratch the design into the plastic.
Step 2: Cut
Cut out all the pieces:
- card front (we used white cardstock)
- on/off pull switch (we used white cardstock)
- craft foam insert
- card base (we used half of a letter sized sheet of black cardstock)
Fold the cardstock in half to make the card base.
Cut a slit in the card base ¼’” from the bottom to insert the on/off pull switch. Fold the large tabs of the on/off pull switch to insert it through the slit. The end with the hole should be on the front of your card and the little tabs on the inside of the card.
Step 3: Add the LED and Battery
Bend one lead of the LED down towards the other lead. This will connect with the battery through the hole in the on/off switch when the on/off switched is pulled.
Attach the craft foam to the front of the card with glue or double-sided tape around the top edge and sides. Be careful not to glue too close to where the LED and battery sit so the on/off switch can move up and down.
Put the LED and battery in the foam insert. The on/off pull should be between the lead with the bend and the battery. Test to make sure the on/off switch works.
Secure the battery and LED in place with tape or glue.
Step 4: Final Assembly
Insert the acrylic square.
Add a small piece of black paper or electrical tape over the LED bulb.
Glue on the card cover, securing the acrylic square.
Decorate your card as desired.