Check out these other Instructables that use the Sparkle Board:
Sparkle TuTu by Lynne Bruning
Programmable Light Up Fairy Wings by the_gella
Step 1: Materials
- Conductive Thread - you can purchase this from Sparkfun
- Sparkle Board - from Aniomagic
- Sparkle LEDs - I used 10, 4 white, 3 red, and 3 green. Don't forget the sparkle board has an LED on it, so in total I have 11 lights on my tie.
- Battery Holder - I purchased mine from Sparkfun. Aniomagic has a battery holder with a built in switch but they were out of stock. I didn't include a switch in my circuit so to turn the tie on and off I just take the battery out of the holder.
- 2032 Coin Cell Battery 3V - can purchase from Sparkfun
Step 2: Getting to Know Your Sparkle Board
- Connect the positive terminal to the positive terminal on the battery pack, and connect the negative terminal to the negative terminal on the battery pack.
- Connect positive/negative leads on the board to the positive/negative leads on the LEDs
Step 3: LED Tie Circuit
Step 4: Sew Battery Holder and Sparkle Board
- Sew the positive terminal of the power source to the back side of the tie with conductive thread.
- Using that same thread sew the positive terminal of the sparkle board to the front side of the tie. Knot the thread a couple times and cut it. The sparkle board and the power source should be back to back with positive and negative terminals matching up.
- Sew the negative terminal of the power source to the back side of the tie with a new piece of conductive thread.
- Using that same thread sew the negative terminal of the sparkle board to the front side of the tie. Knot the thread a couple times and cut it.
Step 5: Sew LEDs
Sew the positive trace:
- Sew the positive lead on the sparkle board to the tie and continue to sew the positive leads on the LEDs to the tie. I spaced the LED's about 3cm apart.
- Since the ties have a couple layers of fabric I hid all of my traces on the back side of the tie so you can't see the thread on the front.
- When you get to the last LED knot the thread a couple times and cut it.
Step 6: Program
Use this really intuitive interface to write your program. To upload the light pattern into your board just hold the sparkle board up to the sparkle board on the screen and let it download.