Only four components:
1. Bulb Base
2. 10 mm LED
3. 100 kilo ohm, 1 watt resistor (Brown, Black, Yellow)
4. 1N 4007 diode.
Expected life - Atleast 5 years.
Important: Attempt only if proficient in dealing with AC Mains.
DC Feature (Flashlight):
It also doubles as a flashlite, in case lights go out. Any cell, 3v, 6v, 9v or mobile battery can be used to make it a torch!!
Tips on connecting the wires:
1. First connect negative of diode to negative of LED, as high up as possible, near the base of LED.
2. Then connect the resistor to the diode leg.
3. Next, connect the positive of the diode to the positive of the LED, but as low as possible toward the tip of the leg.
4. That way, both the legs of the final product will be almost of equal length.
5. No soldering was done and so no allergies or waste of time, in my project.