For the LED contest, I wanted to put lights on something that moves. Poi are something I've been tempted to try for a while, and seemed like a good application for LEDs.
Step 1: Materials
These poi are constructed from a pair of hollow rubber balls on ropes. I've inserted 5 LEDs in each ball, powered by 12V batteries. The ball is covered with a balloon.
Things you'll need:
- 2 hollow balls - mine are around 3 inches in diameter
- 10 (or more) LEDs and some spares
- electrical wire
- 2 12V batteries (it's possible you'll need more power if you use more LEDs)
- 2 balloons - I used 12 inch balloons
- electrical tape
- four large washers (to add some weight to the balls)
- velcro and conductive thread (I used these to make a switch)
You'll also need a soldering iron, wire strippers, a drill, a utility knife, a needle, and pointed scissors.