A few years ago Zippo had a flashlight version of their amazing classic lighter. These Zippo flashlights never really caught on, most likely because they were dim and the batteries didn't last. None the less, I thought this was a good idea and wanted to find a way to do it better.
Now I know what some of you are thinking, "Why would some one take apart a perfectly good Zippo?" I have multiple lighters and I don't smoke. The only thing I use a lighter for is igniting fireworks and campfires.
So, why not make an awesome flashlight ? The Zippo Lighter is an American icon and I wanted to put a new spin on it. Here is my idea, creation, and Instructables project. I hope you enjoy.
For more information on LEDs please see the Wikipedia page ( HERE ). Truly amazing stuff.
This is my second version of this project. If you would like to see my prototype and first try at this idea please see the last step.
Step 1: Parts and Tools
- Zippo Lighter
- Super bright white LED x2
- Mini Switch (I used a mini momentary switch from Radio Shack)
- Button cell battery x2
- Small gauge wire (I tore apart some old cat5 cable)
- Shrink tube
- Super glue
- Electrical tape
- Soldering Iron and solder
- Helping hands
- Rotary cutting tool (Dremel Tool) or hacksaw
- X-acto knife
- Voltage meter (probably won't need this but I always have it around)
- Small drill bit or needle file
You may not need all of these tools but they may come in handy.