Introduction: LED Dome Light Upgrade
I hate incandescent bulbs! I also don't like ordering LED bulbs online. So I am lucky enough to have a Frys near by. I picked up about 5 epoxy sealed 12v LED SMD
Step 1: The Parts
- Clear rubber/soft plastic bumpers (optional)
- Linrose LED Modules (BIM1220W-White) [or any color u want/find]
- Cut off disc/wheel or small hack saw (I like my Dremel)
Step 2: Tools
- Small screwdriver set
- Plastic wedge (I used my short finger nails)
- Side cutters
- Solder iron
- Elec-Solder wire
Step 3: Remove Dome Light Fixture
I don' have a pic before the soldered finished product. Sorry.
- wedge / pry
- most likely clips on the sides (squeeze or compress)
- slowly pull to the direction of least resistance
- find wire harness (small flat head screw driver for tab [push end closest to you down] if you have clumsy fingers like mine) pull to separate connection
+- 90% of vehicles after 2000 wont have screws holding the dome light.
Step 4: Assessment of Setup
It is critical you determine what steps to take here! Not all cars are the same.
All I had to do was remove the clear plastic light diffuser to remove the bulb and place my LED module. Had my dome light been more shallow I would have needed to modify the bulb holder to accommodate the plastic light diffuser.
- Find the Positive terminal (mark it)
- Run your wiring (I had to do a little cutting as pointed out in the picture)
- Temporarily secure the LED wire to your terminals and recheck you have power to the LED
- Solder your joints
Step 5: Clean Up
Confirm joints are good, check fitment of plastic light diffuser, and retest power to LED
Step 6: Re-install
- Connect Harness
- Check functionality (On/doorOn)
- Push back into place as you did when removing (path of least resistance)
- May have to give good kick (push) to get the clips to hold it tight against the headliner
- Re-check functionality (On/doorOn)
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.