I know LEGO has the Mindstorms-set that probably is great, but wouldn't it be even better (and cheaper) to hack your regular bricks into your own micro controller controlled LEGO? Well I think so!
I had this idea for a long time, but to many other projects stood in the way until Tristram posted this instructable: DIY-LEGO
We tried to work together on this project, but it seemed impossible to synchronize our agenda's and get together so we both run our own projects. First I took the same route Tristran took and even build myself a MYDIYCNC to cut the bricks, but finally I decided to take an other approach.
A nice first step in this project will be a simple LED in a brick.
(Tristram also did a LEGO-LED but with his own approach)
My goals for the LEGO-LED:
- It must be 5V so is can be easily controlled by an Arduino micro controller
- It must fit in a 2x2 brick and be flush within the brick
- There must be come logic in the positive and negative poles
- There must be a easy (LEGO-like) system to connect cables
- The design must be useful for different modules in the future, like sensors and switches. (so there must be a possibility for three poles: 5V, GND and signal)
- It must be repeatable
- It must be cheap (not counting the CNC I build for it)
- It definitely must look cool