Step 3: Making Pattern - Bottoms
Taking Measurements (check diagram): At first I was just going to make a patter out of an existing pair of underwear but this outfit is not stretchy so I had to make the pattern from scratch.
Waist (W)- take waist measurement from around your hip bone
Side (S)- I used 2 1/2" as my side measurement
Crotch (C)- hold the tape measure from the front-center of the waist, bring it between your legs and under your crotch, back up to the back-center of the waist.
Making Pattern - make two separate pattern pieces, one for front and one for back. Follow these instructions for both.
- Lay pattern paper flat - iron paper if it is wrinkled or curling
- Draw a straight line that is 1/2(W), mark the center point of this line with an X
- Draw a perpendicular line, length (S) from each end of the line you just drew
- Draw another perpendicular line starting at the X that has a length 1/2(C), mark the other end of this line X'
- Fold the paper in half on the line you just drew (X to X')
- Only look at one side of the fold
- Draw a line 1 1/4" perpendicular to the crotch line starting at X', mark the other end of this line D
- Drawing the hip curve: draw a curve from the bottom of the side line to point D using the hip curve ruler. This is why the front pattern piece and the back pattern piece are different. Up to this point the pieces are made the same, but the front of the bottom garment has more of a curve than the back piece. To figure out the curve. use a pair of your underwear and check to see what the curve is like and try to follow that in your pattern.
- Cut out pattern piece. Keep the paper folded when you do this. This will ensure that the bottoms are symmetrical.
I found this great tutorial for making a corset pattern. Just plug in your measurements and it will walk you through the rest. After I completed the pattern I made a few of my own adjustments to make it look more like Gaga's top. Few adjustments to keep in mind:
- Top of Lady Gaga's top curves at the breasts a bit more
- The gap in between the red and white stripes and the blue and white stars.
- This is a really short top, most of the torso is shown.