Introduction: Lamp From Recycled Materials
For this project almost all of the materials used were found, which means... it's basically a free lamp. After only a few minutes of work you'll have a nice lamp for your bedside table, or wherever else you want to put it.
Things You Will Need:
- Corrugated Cardboard
- Light bulb socket with chord
- Sheets of paper
- 8 small magnets
- Light bulb
- Glue sticks
- Thick paper tube (24 inches long, 1.5 inch diameter)
Tools You Will Need:
- Box cutter
- X-acto knife
- Hot glue gun
Step 1: Making the Frame (the L Shaped Part)
- Take your paper tube and cut it into two sections, one 14 inches long and the other 10 inches.
- Take the 10 inch section and measure 1.5 inches and cut horizontally half way through the tube, then vertically to cut the section off the tube.
- On the other end of the 10 inch section cut a slit .75 inches vertically on one side of the tube, then make a small hole for the cord to go through
- Place the 14 inch tube in the cut out portion of the 10 inch tube and glue it in place.
Step 2: Making the Base
- Take your corrugated cardboard and cut it to the dimensions shown.
- Fold the cardboard into a box and glue the overlapping flaps together.
- Cut a hole (big enough for the tube to fit) on one end of the box.
- Cut a piece out of the side of the box for the cord to go out through.
Step 3: Making the Lantern
- Using the paperboard, cut out the following pieces...
- A. 4x4 inch square
- B. 4x4 inch square with a circle cut out in the center to fit the light bulb socket
- C. 4x4 inch frame that is .5 inches wide
- D. 6x.5 inch pieces (x8)
2. Glue the magnets as shown
3. Cut out 4 piece of paper (4x6 inches) and glue 2 "D" pieces on either end (repeat step to make 4 panels)
4. Assemble lantern as shown in the picture.
Step 4: Assembly and Finishing Touches
- String cord through the frame with the socket on the shorter section of the "L" with a little bit of the cord sticking out for the socket to hang down.
- Pull cord out the bottom of the frame and string it through the hole in the base and then out the hole on the side.
- Put end of tube in the hole in the base.
To Make the Supports:
- Take your corrugated cardboard and cut along the bends in the cardboard (only through one side of the cardboard not all the way through), not against them as shown in the picture. After you cut the cardboard you should be able to make curves with it
- Wrap the cardboard around the top of the L, on the vertical section and the horizontal section. Sketch a line across the two tubes so that they meet at a 45 degree angle.
- Cut the tubes along the lines you sketched out and glue them in place.
- Using the same process make the support at the base of the pole, wrap the cardboard around, sketch out where you need to cut, cut, and then glue in place.
Attach the lantern:
Pretty self explanatory, after screwing in the light bulb attach the lantern to the hanging socket.
Step 5: You're Done
Bask in the glory of this lantern made from recycled materials.
2 People Made This Project!
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.