At the beach I had seen people on long boards pushing themselves around with these big sticks. They looked pretty fun so I was interested in getting one. But after learning the price on these was $100 and up I decided to make one myself.
The end product works great and I think it looks pretty cool. So if you’re looking to have some fun for a fraction of the price, let’s get to it!
Step 1: What You Need
Supplies you need:
- 1¼” or 1½” wooden dowel – Home Depot has these
- Vurtego pogo stick bounce pad – Vurtego sells these here: http://www.vurtegopogo.com/product/bounce-pad/ – you could also use a tennis ball or something similar but this looked and worked the best for me
- Wood glue or 2 part epoxy
Tools you need:
- Sanding block or power sander with sand paper
- 1¼” or 1½” drill bit depending on the size of your wooden dowel
Supplies you might need:
- Plasti Dip – Home Depot carries this
- Wood stain
Step 2: Cut your wooden dowel
Cut your wooden dowel to about the height of the rider’s forehead when standing on the skateboard.
Next you’ll need to cut the handle using the remaining material. I cut my handle about 4 1/2 inches long but do whatever’s comfortable for you. Then sand everything down until it has a nice feel and finish.
Step 3: Attach your handle
Find the center of your handle and, using the 1¼” or 1½” drill bit, drill into the handle about ¾” deep. You’ll use this to sit the long piece of your paddle to your handle. Be sure to sand where you drilled to a nice finish.
Drill a hole through the top of your handle and into the land paddle. Use your glue to attach the two together and insert a screw through the hole you just drilled.
You should now have a handle attached to your land paddle!