Introduction: Large Organic Food Garden
Last week we created a beautiful organic food garden here in Cape Town, South Africa.
The space is divided into three sections, including:
1. Long thin passage
2. Large central space
3. Lawn-edged bed
It took three of us two days to create the garden. In our area it is very sand, so a large part of the work was clearing sand and mixing in nutrients. This was our process:
1. Clear weeds, old plants.
2. Level ground using spades and rakes.
3. Build edging. We used wood and stones.
4. Mix nutrients into soil. We make our own mix of bonemeal, compost, organic fertilizer, vermi-castings (worm droppings), and volcanic rock dust (rock minerals).
5. Plant seeds and seedlings.
6. Cover exposed soil around seedlings with mulch to minimize evaporation and erosion.
The garden is transformed!