Step 1: What You Need for the Turkeys
24 mini cupcakes baked in white paper liners
48 candy eyeballs
1/2 cup of vanilla frosting
24 pieces of Anna's Ginger Thins
96 pieces of candy corn
24 pieces of Indian candy corn
1 red fruit by the foot
Step 2: Baking & Icing the Cupcakes
The Carrot Cake yields 24 standard cupcakes and 24 mini cupcakes, which is exactly what you need.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2 cups of flour
2 cups of sugar
1 1/2 cups of vegetable oil
2 teaspoons of baking power
1 teaspoon of baking soda
1 teaspoon of salt
1 teaspoon of cinnamon
1 teaspoon of nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon of cloves
1 bunch of carrots
Blend sugar and oil. Add eggs.
Sift flour, baking powder & baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves.
Fold in carrots last (grate carrots)
Mini Cupcakes 15-18 minutes or until golden brown
Standard Cupcakes 22-30 minutes or until golden brown
2 packs of 8 oz. cream cheese
1 stick of unsalted butter
2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
2 cups powdered sugar
Beat cream cheese and butter until creamy then add vanilla extract. Gradually add powdered sugar.
* I added a teaspoon of cinnamon and a few drops of brown food coloring to get the icing to a caramel color.
* After completing these cupcakes, I discovered that Cream Cheese icing was definitely not the best icing to use for these cupcakes. I would suggest using buttercream being that the decorations would hold nicely on this icing.
Frost both standard and mini cupcakes and set aside.
Step 3: Assembling the Turkeys
2. In a small bowl, place chocolate sprinkles. Roll the the edge of the standard cupcakes in the jimmies, and dip the top edge of the mini cupcakes in the jimmies.
3. Place two candy eyeballs on the mini cupcake and one Indian candy corn for the nose. Set aside.
4. Cut your 12 marshmallows in half on the diagonal. On your standard cupcakes, place one marshmallow cut side down. This is going to be the support for your turkey's tail (ginger thins with the candy corns). Once the marshmallows are on all of your standard cupcakes, lay one ginger thin against the marshmallow. Don't press the cookie down into the cupcake.
5. Add the mini cupcake head on top of the standard cupcake so that half of it is resting on the cookie and the other half is pressed lightly into the frosting.
6. Open your fruit by the foot, and cut out 24 teardrop shapes and lay them over the beak to make the wattle.