Verde is the Italian word for green, in fact you have probably noticed that the color is different :D
Egg pasta is very easy to make and also, very easy to "dye" using natural ingredients. You can make it red using tomato sauce, black using squid ink or green adding spinach, like in this case.
Step 1: Ingredients
- 2 eggs
- 200 gr (1.6 cups) flour
- 500 gr (2 1/8 cups) fresh spinach
- 500 ml (2 cups) bechamel sauce
- 400 gr (14 oz) meat sauce
- olive oil
- pasta machine
- rectangular baking tin - about 22x16 (8.66 x 6.29 inches)
- large pot
Cook it in boiling water like you would normally do and let it cool.
Squeeze it very well so that all the water goes away then chop them up.
Meanwhile prepare your flour on a table and add your spinach.
Add the eggs and a little bit of olive oil: it will make the dough more elastic.
Start to mix them using a fork, then incorporate all the flour with your hands.
Keep mixing until your dough becomes smooth and homogeneous.
- put your meat sauce in a bowl or pot and add your bechamel sauce to it.
Mix them together.
I know that mixing them together is not very common, but that's the way my family has always done it. Honestly I don't like too much bechamel sauce so I prefer it when it's mixed with meat sauce...believe me, it's delicious! :D
- fill a large pot with water, add a little bit of butter and let it boil.
Butter will prevent your pasta from sticking while curling in the water.
- cover your baking tin with butter.