Truth be told it's actually a Rechargeable Remote Control and Programmable Laser Ball... whoa!
So what's a Laser Ball?
Well it's sort of like the Death Star... OK, maybe that's a bit over-dramatic... a Laser Ball is like a programmable disco ball... or a cat-toy for humans (that sounds about right)... or a personal laser light show... the most fun you've had throwing a tennis ball in years(yeah!)... a 21st-century ship in a bottle... the most sophisticated poi or juggling ball ever seen... maybe a first-generation lightsaber training droid?... or maybe it's all of them! Check out the video to see how it works and how to make one then tell me what you think.
I thought this project was a good idea for an Instructable for a number of reasons:
- It's fun to build!
- The building blocks are easily accessible (...open-source much?) and there's a 5-min version that is lot's of fun too
- The project builds upon the open-source and DIY community
- Laser balls can be assembled in an afternoon
- There are a lot of potential variations (batteries, laser color, laser count, etc...)
- If you think lasers are cool (or any blinky light for that matter) than a Laser Ball will blow your socks off!