To create the sign, I used CorelDraw to draw the outlines of the letters, surrounded them in a rectangular box and surrounded that box in a rectangular box with rounded corners. I used a laser cutter to cut out the pattern on black acrylic and a second time in white acrylic. I then swapped the various parts to create a sign with black letters against a white background in a black frame and a sign with white letters, against a black background, in a white frame.
You can use this technique to make create really nice desk signs with lots of interesting designs.
I made this at TechShop.
Step 1: Materials and Tools
- Black acrylic, 1/8" thick, 11" x 7"
- White acrylic, 1/8" thick, 11" x 7"
- Any color acrylic, 1/4" thick, 10" x 8"
- Acrylic cement (pictured above) - I used #16 Weldon Cement.
- Fine tip for the cement tube
- Laser cutter (I used a 45 watt Epilog Helix laser cutter). I assume in this instructable you know how to use a laser cutter.