The design is an adaptation of their horizontal folding wood booklet, and features a paper insert for writing your message on.
Step 1: What you'll need
- A4 sheets of 3mm laser plywood (one sheet for each card and one for testing)
- Scotch wool / fine grain sandpaper
- White spirit
- Wood stain
- Thin tip paintbrush
- Sponge, brush or cloth for applying wood stain and wax
- Wax polish
- A6 sheets of cream paper (one for each card)
- Punch tool
- Brown leather cord (40cm for each card)
- Cream envelopes
Step 2: Design your card
I hand-drew two different robot designs to go on the front of the cards, scanned these into my computer and modified them slightly in Illustrator before importing them into the card design.
For the design to cut properly, the hinges and the outside edge of the card should be separate colours so the hinges can be cut first.
I've attached my designs, but Snijlab's original living hinge design is available to download from Thingiverse and there are also plenty of other modifications online if you want to create your own card design from scratch.