How to connect two computers (networks or any other electronic devices) with a laser data link.
Most used to connect lan networks between buildings this is a cheap and secure way to send information without broadcasting as RF or wifi links.
This project was developed in my course of robotics for high school junior level, is very cheap and easy to build.
What we get?... communicate two computers over 1100 feets (345meters).
See step 1 below.
Step 1: What We Need?
The laser transceiver consists of two identical devices.
Both endpoints have the following electronic items:
- Microcontroller ATmega168 to 20MIPS.
- Visible light laser 650nm 5mW of power.
- Trigger for the laser based on a MOSFET IRF9630
- Receiver based in three photodiodes of visible light SFH203.
- 50mm Reflector to open the receiving surface.
- USB to Serial Converter at TTL levels.
- Power via USB or battery of 4.5-5V.
Optionally if you need a long distance you must build an accurate pointer system as this based in screws.
- Atmega168 + self-made board = 10 euros
- USB-Serial converter = 4 euros
- Mosfet = 1 euro
- Laser = 3 euros
- Photodiodes = 1 euro
- Torch (only use the reflector) = 2 euros
- hardware & cables = 5 euros.
About 25 euros each transceiver.