- Laser-cuttable wood. I used LaserBits aromatic cedar plywood. I've heard stories that cedar on its own is very hard to laser-cut so best to stick to ply unless you know what you're doing.
- 200-grit sandpaper for finishing.
- Optional: oil, for finishing. I used some safflower cooking oil and it seemed to work fine!
- One length of waxed cotton. I used brown, 1.5mm cotton that I bought on ebay.
- One clasp. I used a magnetic clasp, also found on ebay.
- Laser cutter. I used an Epilog 60W machine. Even the plywood cedar is pretty hard to cut on that machine so YMMV if you have a lower-wattage machine.
- Vector drawing package. I used Inkscape and then transferred to CorelDraw, which is what's attached to the laser cutter.