Once etched with your favorite inspirational, romantic, or comical message, these stones make perfect gifts. With Mothers' Day coming up fast, now's your chance to gather some stones and get etching some inspirational/loving messages for Mom onto pretty, permanent stones.
I made it at TechShop!
Step 1: Materials list
1. A selection of stones to etch. I've found that flat "river stones" work best, since they have a smooth, fairly flat surface onto which you can etch your messages.
2. Play-doh or other type of modeling clay, which you'll use as a moldable base/jig to support the stones on the laser etching table.
3. Ruler or calipers to measure the flat, etchable area on each stone.
4. Pencil to mark the etchable area on your stones.
5. Access to a laser etching machine. I highly recommend the Trotec (and other) lasers available through membership at TechShop (http://www.techshop.ws)
Step 2: Mount a stone onto modeling clay, level and measure the etching surface
- Make a ball of modeling clay and push your stone onto the top of the clay, with the surface to be etched facing up. Adjust the stone by eye (or with a small bubble level) to make sure the etchable surface is as horizontal/flat as possible.
- Use your calipers or ruler to measure the height and width of the flat area on the stone onto which you want to etch a design/graphic.
- Mark the top left corner of the area you measured with a small pencil mark. You'll use this mark to align the laser head to the top left corner of the etching area once you place the stone on the laser etching table.