All of the parts for this costume were gathered from my basement "workshop" (read: mess of tools and junk).
I had some lengths of pipe insulation on hand from an unfinished home improvement project. I also had a couple lengths of this soft copper tubing - it's the stuff you use to connect a refrigerator's ice maker to the water supply. My plan was to put the copper inside the pipe insulation to make them somewhat rigid and posable. Obviously, these would be the basis for Doctor Octopus
' most distinguishing feature - his four robotic arms.
The backpack is smallish, form-fitting, and loaded with adjustment straps. I planned to somehow mount the robot arms. The other supplies were gathered as needed. In the end, they included:
- obligatory black duct tape (does this even need to be mentioned?)
- scrap piece of pine wood board
- deck screws
- "washers" (beer bottle caps)
- action accessories (neoprene back support belt, clunky sunglasses, pocket pouch thingy)
- some lengths of nylon cord