Step 1: Obtaining Supplys
1. wood lathe
2. a cheisel
3. a pen kit of your choice, mine come from pennstateind.com
4. a wood blank of your choice (acrylic also works but I wouldn't recommend if this is your first pen turning)
5. wood polish
6. super glue or another strong glue (gorilla glue etc.)
8. strong paper towel
9. patience, for me that can be the hardest thing to get :)
Some unnecessary things only for tips:
2. guitar string
Step 2: Preparing Your Blanks.
2.Once your blanks are at the correct size you will need to drill them straight through unless they came pre drilled.
3.Now you ready to glue your blanks, take your super glue, (etc) get something to cover the surface of whatever you are working on along with some q-tips and spread it over the brass tube included in your kit. TIP! If you would like to make the glue stick better scratch up the tube with some sandpaper. TIP! To help prevent glue getting within the brass tube plug up the ends with something easily removable I use either pieces of a slice of potato, or wax. Now place/slide your glue covered tube into the hole within your blank.
Step 3: Start Woodturning
2. Have Fun, make your own shape and grip or whatever curves you want.
Step 4: Sanding and Adding Burn Marks
2.To add burn marks when your done sanding you will need some guitar wire and a way to hold it tightly onto the wood. First make a groove using a high speed steel blade, then you hold the guitar wire across the groove until a puff of smoke comes up.
Step 5: Polishing
Next put some of your polish on the towel, then apply blanks with lathe on.