Introduction: Laundry Hacks - the Drawer System
- Whenever the laundry basket was full, you have to sort out the different loads.
If you do all your laundry whenever the laundry basket is full, invariably you end up
- A few overstuffed loads (which won't clean your clothes as well)
- A few loads that are only half full (wasting water and detergent).
- If I didn't do laundry on a set date, I would forget until it was too late and would, without a doubt, run out of the all important socks and underwear at the most inopportune moment.
Step 1: Sorting Your Laundry
- Pants / Slacks
- Blacks / Dark Colors
- Brights / Whites
Soon, I discovered that if I just put the dirty clothes directly in the drawer for that load instead of in the pile of random laundry, I saved time and floor-space in my bedroom! So I continued on and picked up the habit of putting my dirty laundry into drawers for the individual loads.
When we moved into The Bungalow, I brought several of my plastic stackable drawers and made 2 stacks, four drawers high, for me and my husband to sort our dirty clothes into. Whenever we pick up our dirty clothes, we just automatically sort them into the individual drawer for that load. It is a lot easier to sort as you go rather than all at once.
Step 2: Built-In Reminder
When the drawer is full, it is time to do that load of laundry. Simple as that!
It makes it a lot easier if you need to wash your pants once a week but have enough socks to last a few. You only do the laundry that needs to be done, when you have a full load (which saves water!) and you don't even have to remind yourself to do it. If you can't fit those slacks in the drawer, throw a load of pants in!
This system also works to make sure that the washing machine is not tied up by one person for an entire day - Usually you won't fill up all of your drawers at the same time! Very helpful in case you run out of clean socks.
Once your laundry is washed, dried, and folded or hung up, simply stack in the drawer and carry back to the bedroom!
The drawers can act in every way as a normal laundry basket, just sized for only one load! The stackable drawers take up the same space in a bedroom as an average laundry basket, and are much more useful. If you don't have time to fold a finished load of laundry, you don't have to worry about needing an extra basket - Each load has it's own!
Step 3: Expanding for Multiple People
Here is an easy tip to use these drawers to streamline the laundry room.
- Purchase each person their own color of drawer or Label the drawers with each person's name
- When someone put a load in the washer or drier, they leave their drawer on top or on the floor nearby, just as they would with a normal laundry basket.
In larger households it might be useful to set up a community set of drawers for things such as sheets, towels, dishrags, etc. and designate person to take care of one or more drawers. This makes it easier to give a clear who-does-what around the house (and always make sure there are clean towels.)
SparkySolar made it!
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.