Introduction: Lavender Dumplings From Skyrim
Welcome friends and fans! Today we're going to be making this Copy-Khajiit recipe for Lavender Dumplings from The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim's expansion Hearthfire. These tasty pockets of hot-water and lavender crust are stuffed with cranberry sauce, goat cheese, and you guessed it: more lavender.
Are you ready to Food Ro Dah these babies out of Oblivion, into existence, and then into your mouth?! Click the next step to start your quest.
Step 1: Check Your Inventory
First you might need to raid a few taverns and/or guild houses, but ultimately the list below is what you need to make 20 to 25 of these sweet and flowery morsels. Many of these ingredients can be found in alchemy shops, just throw a basket over the owner's head and take what you need.
- large heat-safe mixing bowl
- medium mixing bowl
- small bowl
- rolling pin
- parchment paper
- baking sheets
- pastry brush
- butter knife
- 2" square cookie cutter
- hot water kettle
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons of dried lavender
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 cup lard, shredded
- 1 cup water
- 1 egg
- powdered sugar for garnish
- 7 oz goat cheese
- 1/2 cup canned whole berry cranberry sauce
- 4 teaspoons dried lavender
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 2 tablespoons honey
Step 2: Tasty Tasty Snowberries....
- Blend all the ingredients for the filling in a medium mixing bowl.
- When fully incorporated, cover the bowl and let chill in the refrigerator at least 30 minutes (or 15 minutes in the freezer) while preparing the crust.
Step 3: Get Yourself in Some Hot Water...crust!
- Preheat the oven to 325° F.
- Whisk flour and salt together in a large, heat-resistant bowl. Pour the milk, lard, water, and lavender in a small saucepan and simmer.
- Set a separate kettle with extra water to boil. Stir the contents of the saucepan.
- When the mixture just comes to a boil, immediately pour it into the flour mix and blend with a spatula or wooden spoon until a dough forms. Add extra hot water from the kettle if the dough is too dry, extra flour if too wet, until it’s workable enough to roll.
Step 4: Do Some Fancy Manuevering
- Take the filling out of the refrigerator or freezer and begin to make the dumplings. Line the baking sheet/s with parchment paper.
- Beat the egg and a splash of water in a small bowl with a fork and set to the side.
- Divide the dough into 4 to 6 parts in its bowl. Take one part out and cover the bowl with a towel or saran wrap to keep the heat and moisture in. Roll the dough out on the countertop with a rolling pin until about 1/4" thin. Cut the dough into 2" squares with a butter knife or a square shaped cookie cutter.
- Roll each square slightly larger and drop a heaping teaspoonful of filling onto the center of each. Dip your finger into the egg mixture and paint all four edges of each square.
- To form the squares into dumplings, bring two of the opposing corners together and pinch to seal. Carefully bring up another corner so that it looks like an envelope and pinch along the sides to seal them. Repeat with the following corner and try to smooth the dough closed with your fingers.
- Place the finished dumpling on the baking sheet and repeat the process until you run out of dough or filling.
Step 5: Start a Hearthfire
- Brush the remaining egg mixture onto the dumplings with a pastry brush and bake in the oven about 25-30 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Let cool about 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar before serving.
Note: The dumplings really are best when warm as the heat also softens the crust, so microwave any leftovers about 15-30 seconds on high if they cool too much. You can also make the dumplings and freeze them to bake at another time, just let them thaw about 20 minutes before doing so.
Step 6: Enjoy the Spoils of Your Labors!
Thank you for taking the time to check out my instructable. Yes, these were tasty, and I hope you have a chance to make them with a little more time and energy than I did (right after work before my friend's bachelorette party).
If you want to read the inspiration behind this recipe, as well as check out my other game and fandom inspired recipes, check out the links below. In the meantime, thank you and stay hungry, my friends!
Skyrim Lavender Dumplings post: http://thegluttonousgeek.com/2017/02/19/skyrimlav/
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.