Many thanks to the people who helped me with this, in order of assistance:
Carmelita " Greg " Regan " Liz " Mom " Maia " Drew
Carmelita was instrumental, because in addition to being a diligent union shop inspector, she also gave me the idea for this project. Mostly by sitting in the middle of whatever I was trying to do, which sometimes happened to be wet paint.
Step 1: What You Need
- philips screwdriver
- drill bits in 2mm, 7mm, and 10mm diameter
- adjustable wrench
- a sturdy utility blade
- Your friend will NOT help you with heavy lifting!
- Do NOT phone IKEA customer service when you become confused!
" 1x VIKA Blecket desktop (or similar)
" 2x FLAERKE end tables (or similar)
- Flaerke end tables are discontinued, by the way.
- This should work with any smooth-sided end table of an appropriate height.
" 2x common household cup plungers with wooden handles
- A smaller cup is better, but the must be handle is long enough for the tilt you want.
" 4x wood screws with a 7mm thread core and a 10mm smooth shaft.
- The smooth bit must be as long as the width of the side wall of the end tables, but no wider.
- Hex head optional. The important thing is that your screws and drill bits match up in size.
- The specific size is not critical, as long as the screws can support the weight of your desktop.